Thread: AMD X2 - 1mb cache or 512?

AMD X2 - 1mb cache or 512?

Here's a bit of info I ran across and thought it sound advice depending on your requirements for an AMD dual core...

this gent is refering to the AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester 2.2GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 89W Dual-Core Processor

Although 939's aren't on the market as much as before...many still use them for their dual core requirements as far as I have heard...for the money, alot less the the AM2 and Quad 4's are going for as I understand and am told.

but it made me think a second since my wallet seems to agree with his perceptive advice...so I threw it in here to just share and let you hash it around...

quote...

Here are a few words of wisdom to those contemplating an upgrade to an X2 processor. First, the speed of the X2 4200+ with 512K of L2 cache is only about 8% to 10% slower than the X2 4400+ with 1Mb of L2 cache. Spend a lot less money to buy 90% of the processing power. Next, before you install the dual core processor it is essential that you flash the most recent BIOS. Be careful that everything is right (correct BIOS for the exact motherboard, correct BIOS flash program, etc.). If you screw up the BIOS flash you’ll have a nightmare on your hands. Finally, install the latest chipset drivers from the chipset manufacturer (Nvidia for the nForce 4, etc.). When you finish this step then, and only then, install the X2 processor. Here’s the BIG secret to success - after you successfully boot into Windows XP you should reinstall the chipset drivers. This will eliminate lingering chipset driver conflicts that will cause strange problems with some, but not all, software.
    straight from the heart of the Ozarks!

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    This assumes your mobo is upward compatible with an X2 processor upgrade. Check this first.

Yepper, that's true...and I also just recently checked on my eVGA board for BIOS updates as below:

I found a newer BIOS update, it merely says it:
    Adds support for 7950GX2
    Support for the AMD Athlon64 FX60 CPU
    (FX55/FX57/Dual Core CPUs were already supported)

wasn't even sure before then about support for the FX's...to bad my wallet doesn't compromise any better than it does *smiling*
    straight from the heart of the Ozarks!