Thread: Boot CD to copy files

Boot CD to copy files

Hi All,
    Got a dead HP laptop here that im working on. Wont boot in safe mode, but i am able to get into the BIOS and boot other bootable CD's.
    Tried doing a system restore via HP's rescue option, and even thgouh the laptop was running fine back on the date i restored it to, it still wont boot.

I need to backup the data to a USB hard drive that i have attached before going any further.
    I have tried an Ubuntu CD, but it gives me errors when i try to copy files and folders over to the USB HD.
    I also tried an Acronix Rescue CD, and it just gives me errors and wont allow me to save just the files or folders without using their compression.
    I also tried the UBCD, but i have never had any luck with that on any system i tried using it on.
    The system is running an OEM version of Vista premium and the laptop has a SATA HD.
    Is there a good option here that will work with SATA HD's and allow me to copy selected NTFS files and folders over to an attached USB HD?

Thanks

If all of those boot CDs fail, it's a hardware issue.

What happens *exactly* when you try to load a UBCD4Win?

Acronis would at least allow you to image the drive to a file on your USB drive. You can then use True Image to open and extract files later.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    I use BartPE for technical support on desktops and laptops.

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

I added plugins to my disk to allow network or USB drive copying from FAT32, NTFS, Mac OSX, and Linux. I have 70+ plugins to allow various hardware diagnostics and troubleshooting on any system.

Thanks Bill,
    I went back with the Acronis CD and realized that the error i was getting was due to me not selecting the destination drive correctly. Been a while since i last used it. Its in the process of backing things up now. The UBCD issue i didnt bother writing anything down.
    It would never launch the specific app i was trying to use and would come back to some prompt. Sorry i cant be more specific. It may be just a bad burn from day one, as i have never had much luck with that disk as i said.
    Could also be operator error as well

Sterling,
    I haven't made a BARTPE disk in several years. Are there any must have plugins you would recommend?
    Any issues using it on a Vista system? Do you still use an XP CD to make it?

Thanks

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LOTL
    Sterling,
    I haven't made a BARTPE disk in several years. Are there any must have plugins you would recommend?
    Any issues using it on a Vista system? Do you still use an XP CD to make it?

Thanks
    There are almost one Thousand plugins available now. I use about 70 or 80 on my disk.

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showforum=30

BartPE seems to work on just about any system. I added FAT32, NTFS, Apple Mac OSX, and Linux file system support.

There are several ways to make a BartPE disk now, so you have more choices.

Be aware that UBCD and UBCD4Win are 2 different things.

You cannot create a UBCD4Win on a Vista box. It must be built on XP using and XP CD.

Check Tech Tools for the link to UBCD4Win.

I recommend UBCD4Win or Knoppix or simply slave the drive in another pc. Whenever True Image errors occur its usually a bad drive or file corruption in my experience. If the file system is corrupt then you may have bigger issues.