Thread: overclocking intel core 2 quad

overclocking intel core 2 quad

new to the forum, absolute noob post, the answer to my question has most likely been listed a thousand times, still..

Just built a new pc, got a new quad-core processor, 2.7ghz, just want to know how exactly I overclock the processor to begin with, and how much I can do it by?

Thanks

Well, first off, welcome to sysopt. Second, sorry about the slow response, holidays and all. We'll take care of your move to the dark side!
    Need some basics first. Whats your CPU, mobo, memory, cooling, etc. Each system/hardware is/are different and your mileage will vary. I've got a couple of quads running over clocked. One will do 3.7+ and a small bump in vcore with no sweat. Another can BARELY do 3.3 with a ton of vcore.
    Profanity: a weak mind trying to express itself forcibly.
    http://www.thegopnet.com

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Overclocking is a great way to justify buying new hardware later on. When you fry a CPU or mobo, you have to buy a newer model.

I stopped overclocking right after the Pentium 450s became multiplier locked. The extra cost of cooling, and replacements did not justify the minor bump up in performance gained from overclocking.

I do have to disagree with you Sterling somewhat. For the average user, overclocking has little or benefit. For the "power user" it can have quite a bit, and not significantly lower life expectancy or increase cost, if done right with the right equipment. Examples like the E6600 and Q6600, both can do 25 to 30% overclock with pretty much stock voltage and stock cooling. Viola, a Extreme processor at a quarter of the price. Throw in 50 to 200$ for some decent cooling and you can get 40 to 50% out of that baby and it can spank any of the stock Extremes in the family, though if pushed too far at the cost of lower life.
    As far as I can remember, I have yet to have a processor fail, except an attempt to do a serious oc on a E6300. But then I did push it to the breaking point to see how far it would go (3.2 at 1.75 vcore before it flashed, if I remember).

Ultimate Member
    Everythng you need to know in here:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/...ds-duals-guide

It's lengthy, but as a beginner you want as much detail as possible.

I've got a Q6600 coming at the end of the week and may be having a dabble about with it.

You should be able to get a decent overclock out of your CPU though without having to go t the extent of fiddling with Voltages and whatnot (i expect to be able to get the 6600 2.4Ghz up to 3GHz without much in the way of effort), something i generally advise beginners not to do with their brand spanking new hardware.

--Jakk

--Jakk:T
    "You don't know Jakk..."

Windows Vista Business x64
    Hiper 580Watt PSU -- Gigabyte GA-P31-DS3L -- Intel Core2Quad 6600 -- 4GB PC6400 -- 256MB GeForce FX7800GT
    SATA-II HDD 1x500Gb/1x400GB/1x250GB-- 1x120GB ATA-100 HDD
    [/B]

Jak, you should be able to hit 3.2 without upping the voltage at all. I am at 356 x 9 with 1.275 vcore. The north bridge and all are stock voltage.

I have been to 3.6 but I hated the temps at that voltage and speed. If I ever go under water again I could do 3.6 24/7. I have a thing about water and electronics though. They don't mix for me.

One day I'll have to tell you all about the radiator that leaked into my machine. It missed the electronics but I had a nice pool in the bottom of my case.

Ultimate Member
    http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=515316

A slightly more readable version of the above link.

OT: BadDriver, what cooling you got on that? I'm currently back in the ranks of the unemployed so im doing this on the cheap side and just lumping with the stock cooler (i wouldnt be buying it at all but ive got somone whose willing to eat the VAT on my order so im goin for it while the offer stands) - im wondering how that will do because ive heard mixed things.

Im the same really, i personally dont trust myself with water cooling... to be honest i barely trust myself with sharp objects! In my experience if you do it right you can get a good cheap, cool and quiet combination from air fairly easily.

Im hoping a Q6600 and 4gb will give the below system a bit of a boot in the pants, should be here at the start of next week, so we shall see!

--Jakk
    "You don't know Jakk..."

Hiper 580Watt PSU -- Gigabyte GA-P31-DS3L -- Intel Core2Quad 6600 -- 4GB PC6400 -- 256MB GeForce FX7800GT
    [/B]

Jak, I think you will see more than a boot in the pants. More like a significant explosion. I've got a couple of my Q6600's on ThermalTake Big Typhoons. One is still on the stock HS. And then my "main" system. A Coolit Eliminator and a Coolit Freezone modified and running in line together. Right now it's about 26C ambient (12:00 at nite too!), CPU is at 15 and cores between 19 and 22. That is on the low and mid settings and overclocked!
    But back on earth, the air quads are all over clocked now at 400x8, vcore is between stock and up to 1.32. All else stock. Under 100% load when the ambient is mid to high 20's, the TT's will run core temps of mid 50's. Stock cooler will run low to mid 60's. CPU temps generally are about 10 to 14 below the core temps.
    Every Q I have has done 3.0 out of the box on stock cooling and default settings without any hitch.
    But of course your mileage may vary.

Ultimate Member
    Sounds good to me - i'll probably give it a couple of days break in and then push it straight up to 3.0ghz quick and easy - there aint much neeed to go higher for the time being, i'm gonna be interested to see what extra performance the new "brain" can pull out of the slightly flagging 7800GT too.

The waiting is killing me here

--Carl
    "You don't know Jakk..."

[/B]

Jakk, forgot to ask, what mobo are you getting for the Q? The 975's can be very difficult to get any oc' out of a Q. Had two different 975's, one Abit and the other Asus. Neither would let me get beyond stock by more than hair and a half.

Ultimate Member
    I'm gettin the Gigabyte GA-P31-DS3L based off the Intel P31 chipset. It's not the fanciest board in the world, but it overclocks pretty well from what ive read, especially considering that its essentially a budget board. Like i say, im trying to keep this as cheap as possible

--Carl
    "You don't know Jakk..."

[/B]

One of my Q's is in the GA-P35-DS3L. Decent board. Quirky as all hello though. Sometimes have to take everything off the board, including the CPU, after a bad overclock, then do a hard reset. RMA'd the board twice, same thing.

Sorry Jak for being a bit slow answering. I am running a zalman 9700 on the CPU.

Ultimate Member
    Not wishing to continue hijacking this one, but ive got all the new gear installed now and all i can say is wow, what a difference :|

General spelunking in Windows isnt really noticably quicker compared to the old Opteron, however a nunber of games that used to struggle (Crysis, DiRT, Bioshock) even at low settings now run quite nicely at medium-high settings, at which point the ol' 7800Gt starts to puff and pant a bit.

I'll probably slap an 4870 in as well (once i get a job that is) - but for the time being this has breathed new life into the 7800GT's gaming performance

Ended up getting the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro cooler for it.

All in all a good cheap and quick upgrade (~£200 as i managed to dodge VAT on it )

--Jakk
    "You don't know Jakk..."

[/B]

Well Jakk, have you oc'd your new baby yet?