Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Amazing .. check this spam phising junk mail

Amazing .. check this spam phising junk mail

Currently i use LiveMail, as my hotmail act., and like the regular hotmail, older version, there is the folder for junk email. I wouldn't bother with showing you how many interesting junk emails i get ,of which some are liget businesses, and promos, while others are obvious phising scams. I just thought i would tell you about this one i just got awhile ago.

The sender was from some place supposely who checks on unauthorized 'Paypal' transactions.

To get the jift of this..i'll summerize some:

Someone has just charged your account with $383.73 ( close to that figure ), using your paypal acct. Thats funny ,but not so funny, as i have never used a Paypal account. i may have opened oone up a long long time ago, but never used it. Nor, ddo i get any promos or other from them ever.
    Abit further down, is a link like typ. blued out tht one clicks, saying if this is false click this link. I'm well protected enough so being curious i clicked it, and nothing opened, due to my security settings. Thk. G.

Also i normally as i did here typ. click the 'report phising scam' menu at top of browser, and that bring up another point i want ot inquire about..>>

Just exactly waht does this option really do anyway. One still keeps getting the same or new phising junk mails, and 'nothing ever gets done about it' Again, typ, MS BS, as it seesm its just for thier end purposes. Does nothing over just deleting it for me. How about any of you?

Like i aid, its very funny. people these days will go to just about any means at thier desposal to send ,corrupt, or make one think about these things, and i bet its like playing the field in betting. Somebody might just follow through , and that is exactly what they count on.
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

I got one like that last week, just deleted it and moved on.

LOL yeah.. i mean ..,whats that supposed to be. Alot of really wierd hackers runnin loose. "Oft with thier heads"
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

Just exactly waht does this option really do anyway.
    In theory, the return email address will be blocked...But since there is an UNlimited amount of addresses - its a never ending story.
    "Vegetarians live up to nine years longer than the rest of us...Nine horrible, worthless, baconless years."

LOl Obviously. I just think even that is another form of spam, is it not?,in a twisted sort of way. Why have an option that does absolutely nothing. I think its another avenue to collect info. Strange.

No worries. I'm astute and smart enuogh by now, to know what to open and if not the email protection filters the rest. MS has the built in security feature, and it works when something is harmful. I just laugh at these things mostly. Most people in todays world are too busy to spend time sending spam and nonsense around the net.

Your right. It nver ends does it?
    Last edited by Rabbitrunner51; 05-19-2008 at 07:40 PM.

Switch to Gmail and you'll never even see those spam messages.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Ultimate Member
    Not true. I have a gmail account and I do not use it for general
    mail. Only for things I want to seperate from Yahoo Mail .. and
    I still get spam in the Gmail Account ... that started about 6-8
    months back. Not sure how they got that account address.

I imagine some email accts. or or vendors are each setup bit different, but mostly they all have ways to deal with spam and or junk email. Some of those junk mails aer legit , and even are form subscribed or related companies. Such things as offes of some kind and legitimate vendors are not bothersome to me. Sometimes, i might even respond or glad they sent it.

May or may not be any absolute cure, and one of those things that we all have to put up with from time to time. Such is life.

BPB, i do in fact have a GMail acct. I just nver use it, but its a very good email for sure. I just have mostly used Hotmail, as most anybody i've known or contacted have that as my acct. for sending me whatever. Nothing wrong with GMail. I 've used it some and do like thier options and menu choi a bit better then Hotmail, as well as thier interface.

Bruceb. Get real. In todays world anybody anywhere can find and soemhow get access to ones accts. or at least just sending ya something.

One cureall, might be to setup or dial in input to ones Spyware protection, and other, so these bothersome things cannot get through. Other programs out there on the market may have fixes also.

I have a gmail account that's not quite a year old. I get around 2-3 spams in a week and I'm suprised. I have gone a couple weeks at a time with no spam at all. I use the account for here and personal mail ( friends and relatives ) as well as for Career Builder.com. I just dump it if I even notice it, otherwise it deletes it after 30 days.

Ultimate Member
    I know they can find it if they want to. I am just annoyed
    that they do. My Gmail was spam free, like I said until
    about 5-8 months back. I personally think google changed
    something in the way they filter incoming mail (could be wrong though)

Gmail puts the spam in a spam folder. You will only see the spam if you look on that folder. Its like 99% accurate.

Read my post again. I said he'd never see it. I didn't say he wouldn't get any. If he finds suspicious mail that Gmail put in the spam folder, at least he has a clue right away that it IS spam. The email account he's using now just dumps it all in his Inbox.

Honestly, is anyone thinking?
    MS MCP, MCSE

Ultimate Member
    You are correct. But what I was saying that before
    about 8 months back, even the spam folder got
    very little mail in it. Now, it gets almost as much as
    the Yahoo Mail account spam folder.

OMG... Exactly. A problem that in all seriousness will probably never go away.

One thing i do know is that Hotmail options used to have this put sneders that are trusted inputed on a list, and supposedly nothing other then that would get through.., but then again, why would this be different then one using the best of the best AV,Antispyware, or what have you, and SOMEONE or SOME THING still gets through.

I find it intersting that the computer/internet industry which has gotten more sophisticated and more secure by incorporating all these extra things, such as browser attachment, toolbars, spyware blockers etc.., works alright, but obviously not perfect. In truth i'm suspicious they do what they say they claim at times.

I'm not knowledgable enough, but smart enough to know that any Email, must use an OPEN protocal which is privy to anyone if one wants to get through bad enough. Unfortunately, this requires one to input 'each and every single email delivery one marks as safe or known to user.
    IF, your email vendor has the typ. spam folder, or options for blocking these type of emails or pesky solicitors, why do almost any at any given time get through?

I just think its a boondoogle of sorts. We have been dealing with spam, virues, worms, or waht have you for so long in this industry, and given bunches of tools and software to deal with these things the best we can, and we all have to just abide by the fact, its just the way it is. NOTHINGS PERFECT, nor ever will be, esp. in the computer world.

Take solice in the fact it IS getting better and at least the world isn't remaining ignorant about these things.

Boy.., I opened up a can of worms huh?

Ultimate Member
    The Safe or Whitelist only makes sure that email You Want to Get,
    makes it's way to the Inbox

OK.., heres a bit oof info and settings i did not know existed with Livemail at least. its what I use.

In the right pane/options scroll down, if ya look further down, there is the 'advanced' options, where you have the typ. safe lists and blocked etc... On the right is a window that lists all who aer regarded as safe.
    On the original window that opens under 'advanced', is a whole list of different options for how of who you want blocked, where picking one will bring up a highlighted horizonal box allowing one to type or paste that URL. I did not know this had that, or was just too compacent to look for it. I know now. LOL

I guess in some way, that sorta solves my problem. That brings to mind..; Do any or you other guys emails have something like this for control of who gets in or does not?