Thread: AVG charging for basic AV

AVG charging for basic AV

I've been using AVG for years now, their basic always kept me protected. Now they have come with a new version 8.0 and they want to charge $54.00? Their saying the basic version is still free, but they are charging for the updates?? Did I read it right?

If this is correct, I'll look for another another free version. I know some companies have to charge for their products. But $54.00? I can buy one my at local electronic store on sale for a lot cheaper and a rebate to boot!

If that's the case, I'll look at Avast or something else.

Oh well, but hey nothing is free these days and it's starting to look like that!
    Asus M2N-E, AMD 64 X2 4200, Asus GeForce 9600 GSO, 3GB Kingston DDR2, Seagate IDE 160GB, Maxtor IDE 200GB, Dell 24" E248WFP

Did you look at the AV/Antispy sticky recently?

Avira is still free.

No I didn't but I will. This should help me choose a good one. Thanks!
    Asus M2N-E, AMD 64 X2 4200, Asus GeForce 9600 GSO, 3GB Kingston DDR2, Seagate IDE 160GB, Maxtor IDE 200GB, Dell 24" E248WFP

SAVING FACE OR LOSING FACE

Avast! is the best one out there, and it's 100% Free
    i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5

well bid difender is doing well

can some body help me
    im havin problem with my hard disk
    which cannot be formatted nw
    can u some body tell me the reson and how to sole the problem?
    plx

Hard drives fail all of the time. They definitely do not last forever.

What you need to do is to go to the support site for the drive manufacturer (Seagate, Western Digital, Samsung, Maxtor. IBM/Hitachi) and download the diagnostic software to check the drive. It will tell you what's up.

Honestly, you should just buy a replacement OEM drive that matches yours as closely as possible and replace it. It's probably IDE (ATA) and costs about $50 to replace. It's pretty easy to do.

Tell us about the system. Open the case and tell us the brand of drive and about how big it is (was).
    MS MCP, MCSE

Gandaa76, don't hijack someone else's thread. If you have a problem, create a thread of your own.

I think you need to look more closely at the web page... AVG 8.0 basic is still free as of today, however the AVG Internet Security suite is $54.99.

http://free.grisoft.com/ww.download-...s-free-edition
    kevrob1

Peace Go With You...

Hey kevrob, thanks for the tip. I looked at it when I got a pop up saying 7.5 was ending. When I clicked the link to upgrade, the asked for my info and then payment type. I was like huh? So I checked their website and found in their FAQ's that a free wasn't available yet, then I found one that said they were now charging for upgrades?

So I check earlier and did find the free 8.0 edition. Cool, that helps. I was ready to change to Avast. But now I don't have to, I've been happy them with for now so why change. Thanks

Got it working for free for me.

In case anybody else was wondering, here's how to remove that annoying link scanner:

http://blog.drale.com/how-to-disable-avg-linkscanner/

nice tip mj