Thread: Is there an easier way to install the regular Intel LGA775 heatsink?

Is there an easier way to install the regular Intel LGA775 heatsink?

Hello guys,

I have heard that the regular Intel LGA775 heatsink that is usually included with the retail Intel processor packages is a real PITA (pain in the a**) to install. Now with a build likely coming soon for me I want to know what is the easiest way to push down those push-pins on the heatsink.

I have heard three orders to push down the push-pins:

1. Push the four push-pins in the standard manner of two push-pins on one side and then two on the other.

2. Push the initial two push-pins in a diagonal manner,
    then push the other two down also in a diagonal manner.

3. Push the two initial push-pins in a diagonal manner but pushing two at the same time, then do the same for the other push-pins.

The diagonal manner mentioned above means this order (the order is numbered from 1 to 4, 1 is starting from where there is a guy's finger on a push-pin):

Method 3 that I listed above is this (pushing two pins down at the same time in a diagonal manner):

Guys, I want you to tell me which is the best order to push down the push-pins. What is the best order?

Its not as difficult as some complain it to be. They are just nervous of breaking something, I think . Occasionally I find one pin is stubborn , but normally they just "pop" in. I prefer the one at a time diagonal method on a non conductive foam pad with the motherboard outside the case, but it can be done inside the case , you just have to be careful not to over stress the board .

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    As long as the heatsink finishes perfectly flat to the processor, I really doubt that you would notice any difference how you push the pins in.

If the interface between the heatsink and the CPU core is touching properly, that is what is important.