Thread: Laptop spec questions

Laptop spec questions

Hey guys,

Got into law school (finally) and I'm in the market for a laptop. I'm already settled on the Dell M1330 XPS. The following are the build specs:

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T9300 (2.5GHz/800Mhz FSB/6MB cache)
    4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz
    320GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
    128MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8400M GS
    Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-card
    Integrated Sound Blaster Audigy HD Software Edition

My question: I was anticipating getting built-in bluetooth (only $20), but they also offer buit-in Wireless USB ($150). Is the wireless USB worth getting? I can't see anything I could use with it right, but want to future proof if WUSB (excuse me, "Certified Wireless USB") is going to be a standard feature. Can I use this feature to use a wireless mouse (not BT) without using a dongle?

Second question: I have verizon wireless and looked at their wireless internet data plans. $60/month for 5GB. Does anyone have an acct with this plan that can give an idea of speeds and reliability? I'll be commuting 5 hours a day to and from school by train in the NJ/NYC metro area so having internet access will help me keep my sanity.

Thanks in advance for your help.

BT: wireless mice, keyboards, earphones, headsets, cell 'tethering', etc., etc.
    WUSB: expect dongles and for cell 'tethering', expect a usb cable, as i don't believe any phones use wusb v bt.
    BT connection to your cell is decent for surfing, email, etc. Don't expect any carrier or data plan to allow more than that without warning. They all carry verbage to bandwidth usage limitations and I've had to re-establish accounts that have abused this via ftp and media streaming. Reliability is subject to how strong your connection is via that 5hr commute.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Awful new for me to comment on, but what is posted at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_USB
    makes me curious.

Guess they do make wireless usb enclosures, anyway they did in 2006

http://www.everythingusb.com/seagate.html

Hey since your going to be mobile with your laptop. Make you really look all the specs and add on's. And see how it will affect the life of the battery and remember adding extras will add weight to it. The key to mobility is long battery life,

As for the Verizon Wireless, ask your self how much are you going to really be using it? Now a days, so many are offering free wifi in major cities. And there are still the few not so clever who still leave their wifi unsecured.

Add up $60.00 a month for so many years? For mobility you want a good lite laptop, long battery life and will handle what you do! Do you want to lug around a heavy laptop and books too!

Hope this helps, I learned this from my first laptop! Buy and choose smart! Not because it looks cool and don't listen to those sales slick people. Many don't really know squat. Do some homework and go back to the store or website.

Good luck!
    Asus M2N-E, AMD 64 X2 4200, Asus GeForce 9600 GSO, 3GB Kingston DDR2, Seagate IDE 160GB, Maxtor IDE 200GB, Dell 24" E248WFP

Skip the WUSB for now. You can easily add it later from Ebay.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Thanks BB. Thanks all for your input.

As far as batteries - the 1330 comes with the 6-cell and I'm hoping for descent time b/c most of my time on the train will be writing/reading and not watching movies. That said, I'll probably pick up a 9-cell battery. Although, the negative on that will be its not flush with the laptop body. Either way, NJ Transit has plugs and I hope LIRR will as well.