Thread: windows module installer has stopped working

windows module installer has stopped working

Hello,

I keep receiving the error "windows module installer has stopped working" whenever I try to update Windows Vista (Home Basic). This occurs when I attempt to update Windows via Control Panel > Updates and also when trying to run the SP1 installer.

Here is the information about this computer:

Specs:
    Core 2 Duo e6550
    1 GB RAM
    Integrated Graphics
    DVD-RW
    80 GB SATA HDD

-This is a fresh install of Windows, I formatted the hard drive prior to installing. It is a full version of Windows Vista, there we no upgrade versions involved
    -There is no security software running in the background
    -There are no programs installed on the computer other than Works 8.5
    -I have already checked services.msc and both Windows Installer and Windows Module Installer services are started and set to manual, as per the recommendations I've seen in other forum posts about this problem
    -I disabled all items under the startup tab (a whopping 4) in msconfig and still was unable to install the updates

Windows Updates says there are 51 updates that need to be installed. When I attempt to install them through Windows it remains on the 1st update and does not progress from that point. I tried reducing the number of updates to be installed by about 20 and still had the same problem. If i shut the computer off and try to let it install updates, it just sits there at 1 out of 51. The HDD spins at first and then stops, with the computer idling.

I am at a loss as to why this is happening. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks

Improvise - Adapt - Overcome
    SafeSearch is off

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately that did not solve the problem. I ended up deleting the partition, formatting the drive fresh and reinstalling Vista. The updates then installed successfully. I have no idea what caused the original problem.