Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Windows Defender

Congrats, djd.

Quote Originally Posted by cdroman
    Yeah; I have it and Sys restore disabled and turned off.

actually, also have the win firewall and security centre disabled and turned off.
    When you make these types of statements, remember that many novices scan these pages seeking guidance. Many of them never so much as post. Hence, if you claim that you have disabled System Restore, be sure to mention that you are using some other method of disaster recovery.

Far too many "I want my PC to be faster" n00bs take statements like this as gospel, but have no alternative backup. PLEASE be certain to mention that you *do* use an imaging program as a superior replacement for System Restore. If you aren't, woe is you.
    MS MCP, MCSE

By the way, I think that disabling Security Center is just plain dumb. Here's why:

http://www.sysopt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=200949
    MS MCP, MCSE

Bill is absolutely correct here. Disabling 'System Restore' is not the wisest of choices. It also doesn't hold ground saying it speeds my computer up'. I doubt that TBH. On that note,,if its speed you want there are plenty of other alternatives, like running 'CCleaner', or just getting rid of malware issues and using known preferred programs.

Many a time 'System restore has saved my behind, and not too recently as a matter of fact.
    Take for example some small but disruptive glitch that even having to deal with a total backup would be kind of stupid at that point ,where S.R. would put it back to before it all happened.
    Also, most of the known programs out today, are integrated with the MS security center, so that is also quite dumb. Its all in what one really understands.. and thats up for debate for sure. Me.., i've learned alot from BPB and others ,even the hard way with much criticism, but i listen, learn and use what is recommended most often. LOL
    Last edited by Rabbitrunner51; 06-22-2008 at 05:59 PM.
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

Quote Originally Posted by BipolarBill
    Congrats, djd.

When you make these types of statements, remember that many novices scan these pages seeking guidance. Many of them never so much as post. Hence, if you claim that you have disabled System Restore, be sure to mention that you are using some other method of disaster recovery.

Far too many "I want my PC to be faster" n00bs take statements like this as gospel, but have no alternative backup. PLEASE be certain to mention that you *do* use an imaging program as a superior replacement for System Restore. If you aren't, woe is you.

Yeah; I see your point here, espescially when a mod backs me up on it like Jakk did.
    SAVING FACE OR LOSING FACE

Quote Originally Posted by BipolarBill
    By the way, I think that disabling Security Center is just plain dumb. Here's why:

http://www.sysopt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=200949

Can't say I agree with you on this one; depends on the user. We all think that certain things that people do or say is just plain dumb. No one is excepted.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitrunner51
    Bill is absolutely correct here. Disabling 'System Restore' is not the wisest of choices. It also doesn't hold ground saying it speeds my computer up'. I doubt that TBH. On that note,,if its speed you want there are plenty of other alternatives, like running 'CCleaner', or just getting rid of malware issues and using known preferred programs.

Many a time 'System restore has saved my behind, and not too recently as a matter of fact.
    Take for example some small but disruptive glitch that even having to deal with a total backup would be kind of stupid at that point ,where S.R. would put it back to before it all happened.
    Also, most of the known programs out today, are integrated with the MS security center, so that is also quite dumb. Its all in what one really understands.. and thats up for debate for sure. Me.., i've learned alot from BPB and others ,even the hard way with much criticism, but i listen, learn and use what is recommended most often. LOL

I did correct Jakk about the AV thing. He's wrong to not use one and he's even more wrong to advertise that fact here in the forum.

Not everyone knows what we know about the inner workings of Windows. As I mentioned, novices take what's said by our senior members as gospel. We owe it to them to promote safe practices.

Safety first, gentlemen.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitrunner51

I guess I'll answer you. Your opinion doesn't mean much to me on this issue; actually your opinion doesn't mean much to me on any issue. I always disable system restore, always have, always will (for me and my family members only; you should not do so). I don't remember saying why I do so, so don't guess. I don't need to get rid of malware from my systems, as I don't get it on them to begin with. Listening to you tell me doing something is dumb is a bit of an oxymoron if you ask me. This'll teach me for thinking I should visit a dying forum once in a while. I did learn something today.

Ignorance is bliss.. TBH, i could care less also. esp. from someone who reacts in such a pompous fashion. Moderators are all differnt people. It is quite true they might differ on any number of things. Tell me where in all the net or any other forum does everyone agree 100 percent of the time. You responded to the question and we responded... should i say more?

The thing about me is i will readily admit my mistakes and it serves me well. It has enabled me to LEARN SOMETHING. Backlashing at others does nobody any good most of the time. We all need to vent i'm sure.

If you choose to do whatever.. so be it. Have a nice day
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

Hey Rabbitrunner,

I would have to agree with you, that backlashing at someone doesn't do any good at all. And actually ends up serving no purpose. I've learned a lot from the knowledge of many of the senior members and sometimes I many not totally agree with their views. But I take everything as a grain of salt and learn from it.

I many be newbee but I have and will not disable System Restore in Vista, I use it as a second precaution. Defender is the only Windows component I've disabled. I do full backups every few days and use System Restore as a precaution from time to time.

I can say many of my friends who are very knowledgable with pc's here, have not givng me good advice. When I come to this site to get other opinions and advice. It has usually turned out 98% right on the money.
    Asus M2N-E, AMD 64 X2 4200, Asus GeForce 9600 GSO, 3GB Kingston DDR2, Seagate IDE 160GB, Maxtor IDE 200GB, Dell 24" E248WFP

One of my statements way before everything got to going here (grreat thread by the way) and as I joined this thread made me think about the courteous advice Bipolar gave...

"When you make these types of statements, remember that many novices scan these pages seeking guidance. Many of them never so much as post. Hence, if you claim that you have disabled System Restore, be sure to mention that you are using some other method of disaster recovery.

__________________"

I had offered my opinion on a subject as follows...

"go to

START/CONTROL PANEL/SECURITY CENTER

left column

"CHANGE THE WAY SECURITY CENTER ALERTS ME"

you can unselect

"FIREWALL"

"AUTOMATIC UPDATES"

and

"VIRUS PROTECTION"
    ------------------------

You're right Bipolar and thanks...that's a polite way of
    telling folks who are more non-mod to be careful sometimes of the advice they might accidentally be giving...good tip

the selections there won't stop the services, only alter the annoying way MicroSoft bugs you about it all the time...

Automatic updates will continue or you couldn't get updates from MS' site...

Firewalls and Anti-virus programs will be unaffected

============

Democracy and Diplomacy...

our right to have differing opinions...my ol' lady doesn't require permission either...just ask her...tehehehe...laughing good naturedly

Although I don't like system restore, I use Acronis as a pretty true backup program...others with far more experience than I have, might like Norton Ghost, others...well

whatever program you are most commonly familiar with I guess, that works for you personally

I do however leave my automatic updates set to notify me and ask me if I wish to download when available

I'm an inquisitive idiot haven't you noticed (smiling again)...

heck of a thread though and I enjoyed watching it.

I learned alot through threads just like this...

and lo and behold if Ma didn't do the Mozilla FireFox V3 update since she didn't have it set to auto, prior to me being able to get an Acronis backup...

sort of like..who fixes the flat tire and who thinks they are doing something by buying a new one and having someone put it on...

sorry, I'm blabbing.

Norton 2008 is good for her and the online banking stuff and filters...

Quoting references...

"Windows Defender is based on GIANT AntiSpyware, which was originally developed by GIANT Company Software, Inc. The company's acquisition was announced by Microsoft on December 16, 2004. While the original GIANT AntiSpyware supported older Windows versions, support for the Windows 9x line of operating systems was dropped. However, Sunbelt Software, which was originally GIANT's partner, sells a product based on the same technology called CounterSpy which still has support for older Microsoft operating systems.

The first release of Microsoft AntiSpyware was released in beta form on January 6, 2005 and was basically a repackaged GIANT AntiSpyware.

At the 2005 RSA Security conference, Chief Software Architect and co-founder of Microsoft, Bill Gates, announced that Windows Defender (which was known as Microsoft AntiSpyware prior to November 4, 2005) would be made available free of charge to all validly licensed Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003 users to help secure their systems against the increasing malware threat."

As I explained to "Ma", if she had Norton, why run Defender, Adaware, Spybot and...and ...and

and of course, she couldn't make a backup of her system with Acronis if you had her pistol held to her big toe...

well...there I go again.

Once again, thanks for an open forum with the ability to voice opinions...

and...options

where else would I go?

I can't even do that here at home...my last smile and laugh for the post

Drew
    straight from the heart of the Ozarks!

I can afford to courteous because I have others do the dirty work now.
    Last edited by BipolarBill; 06-23-2008 at 04:02 PM.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Bill has been alot more courteous of late.. I know i appreciate that. Me.., i am sarcastic by nature but its also my nature not to hurt others needlessly or mock them. That is, unless they just tick me off to no end. Sometimes i fail, but i'm human.

I find it intersting that some posters, who i won't mention by name, seem to just get on here and post critcism or pompous remarks. Just makes them look silly IMO.

Say what you will about this forum "dying", but questions get answered here and problems get solved - in short order. Maybe that's what's hurting us.

I contribute at TechIMO and, honestly, there's more chit-chat and misinformation there than one would expect. Yes, they get more traffic. They get a lot of "drive-by" first time posters that don't follow up. That discourages people from reaching out. Unfortunately, many problems go unsolved as a result.

I've noticed that our moderators are the ones answering questions here. That's not how it's supposed to be. The members are supposed to do the lion's share of tech support and the mods are supposed to watch and jump in when needed.

I have no answers as to why the forum is slow - only theories. All I know is that I'm not giving up.
    MS MCP, MCSE

That is why true and loyal contributors will always return to this forum. To get some REAL answers. Just because one doesn't get wht one thinks is correct or wht one wants is not a reason to leave or diss about, but thats people for ya.

This forum has literally saved my behind more times then I could outline. heaven knows, you wouldn't want me to do that. Not enough space Some are either just stubborn or misinformed to be sure.

One could say its because of the good sound advice, that personally I get here, that my rig is running so good of late and most of the past learnings and dickering with mods. or others. I take what it offers and use what i feel is good and true.

It also is of note that it takes some degree of maturity. I am older then alot here by all standards. Not more knowledgeable, but I have more patience, and do listen eventually. I know some things.. quite a bit actually.

I just figure the reason it might seem slow is people have other things to do. I have alot of free time. Also, the internet is a very big place, with all sorts of answers to whatever. Makes a valid case that others have answers too.
    Last edited by Rabbitrunner51; 06-24-2008 at 06:01 PM.