Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Windows Defender

Windows Defender

Does anyone know how well Windows Defender works? How well it compares to CounterSpy? Is it better to disable it and use CS or something equivalent?
    Asus M2N-E, AMD 64 X2 4200, Asus GeForce 9600 GSO, 3GB Kingston DDR2, Seagate IDE 160GB, Maxtor IDE 200GB, Dell 24" E248WFP

This is the latest comparison I saw:
    http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3688_7-...?tag=cnetfd.mt

Counterspy is better than Windows Defender, but CS isn't free.

Thanks for the info, the comparison was really good. I've used CS before I switched to Vista, now I'll go back to CS. As for Vista well?? Not impressed so far, graphics wise it's great.

I've always wondered about Webroot, but the comparsion took care of that.

Thanks
    Asus M2N-E, AMD 64 X2 4200, Asus GeForce 9600 GSO, 3GB Kingston DDR2, Seagate IDE 160GB, Maxtor IDE 200GB, Dell 24" E248WFP

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    I have never, and I mean NEVER seen Windows Defender list anything wrong with my system.

Ultimate Member
    There should not be anything wrong with your system
    if you are doing what should be done & what you preach.
    Using a good AV, Antispy programs, keeping a system image.

How does keeping a system image stop you getting anything wrong to your system? It's important for backup but it doesn't do anything to *protect* you.

Windows Defender isn't a top-tier antispyware, but I think it's better than nothing.

You should keep a clean backup in case something does happen. It won't protect you from getting infected, but at least you won't have to do a complete rebuild if the infection is beyond repair.

Ultimate Member
    I never said an image would protect you.
    It is intended to help you restore from either
    a hardware failure or a massive infection.

Well just to give an update, I've been using CS and comparing it to Defender. I've been doing some tests of my own. CS finds the spyware, but Defender finds nothing! I'm starting to wonder about Defender and how good it is?

windows defender is ok for free, but it is not in the same class as CS. You get what you pay for.

CS version 2 is just about the best AntiSpyware on the market. I am using thier free trial package > which is full featured right now and feel alot safer then ever before. It is listed against most all others on the market as being the best period. Pretty fair achievement and its only $20.00 for single computer. I'm going to get it.

I really don't want this post to open up a forum on MS , but IMO, considering thier track record on just about everything having to do with security, I myself wouldn't trust it, esp. for total protection. They mostly rely on outside software and ones personal choices anyways.

Also, for me, i gave in a am using an outside source Firewall recommended by one of the mods. here. Since i made these changes and even before for several months now, i have not been infected yet. Of course every so often and not that often, some little worm or virus will try and enter, but my AV catches it, and now CS will catch other if not more. Give the trial issue a try. LOL
    Last edited by Rabbitrunner51; 05-09-2008 at 05:36 AM.
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

Ultimate Member
    Rabbit .. it is your choice of course, but if you are going to
    pay for the program for use on 1 computer consider this:

$19.95 - 1 year subscription
    $34.92 - 2 year subscription
    $45.88 - 3 year subscription

Clearly, it is much less costly to buy the 3 year sub for it.

I used CS with XP and it worked like a charm. Now that I'm using Vista for now. I've been testing CS against Defender and it just blows, not in the same league with CS. The incredible part I see a lot of great reviews about Defender. They say Defender is great, yada, yada. How they came to these conclusions???

I nipped Defender and now back to CS. Safer and happier.

Look at the difference in download size. CS is huge - more than 50MB. Defender is less than 10MB last time I checked. How can Defender possibly have a comparable definition package? It can't.

CS and Defender started out with the same basic engine (Giant), but Sunbelt has updated their package while MS has sat on their hands.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Ultimate Member
    Maybe not the advice that is being sought or typically doled out - but personally i disable Windows Defender in Vista for performance reasons and run regular manual scans with Freeware software such as Ad-Aware, Spybot and SpywareBlaster
    "You don't know Jakk..."

Windows Vista Business x64
    Hiper 580Watt PSU -- Gigabyte GA-P31-DS3L -- Intel Core2Quad 6600 -- 4GB PC6400 -- 256MB GeForce FX7800GT
    SATA-II HDD 1x500Gb/1x400GB/1x250GB-- 1x120GB ATA-100 HDD
    [/B]