Thread: Freezes Caused by Power Supply?

Freezes Caused by Power Supply?

My brother recently purchased a 8500GT, and ever since he installed it his computer would freeze after a few minuets of playing a game. At first I thought it was a heat issue, so i tried underclocking the card to the default specs (it was one of those pre-overclocked cards). Underclocking seemed to help a little, but it still eventually froze during gameplay.

I tried installing the card into my computer, and it works flawlessly. The video card's minimum power requirement is 400W, and my brother has a cheap no-name 400W power supply in his computer. Is the power supply the problem? Or could it be something else?

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    It very well could be but you will not know for sure until he replaces it with a high quality 500+ watt supply.

Ok thanks. I just wanted to get an expert opinion before I tell him to go spend money on a power supply.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    8800 GT _________####¦)####}| 35W-39W-78W ² (512MB)
    8800 GT _________###¦)##| 31W-50W ^ (256MB)

If he has the one with 512MB of ram, it needs 78 watts by itself.

Better spend the money and get a good high quality ps, before he has to to replace a bunch of stuff.

It is a good idea to keep a extra power supply handy....
    They have a tendency to fail ....and it is a quick fix...

Just got done installing a new power supply, it's still freezing! I forgot to add in my first post, that I get a lot of artifacting right before it freezes. Also, his previous card was a 6600, and it worked fine. What could the problem be?

One more thing: I noticed that the northbridge fan isn't moving. Could that be the cause? Even though there are no freezes when the 6600 is in, and the northbridge fan still isn't moving?

Quote Originally Posted by timmage89
    One more thing: I noticed that the northbridge fan isn't moving. Could that be the cause? Even though there are no freezes when the 6600 is in, and the northbridge fan still isn't moving?
    If there is a fan, then not spinning is a problem. They put a fan there for a reason.

lol, thank you Midknyte, for your sharing your marvelous insight.

I just gave the fan a tap and it started spinning. No freezes so far.

Those chipset fans are a cheap fix, so replace it and be done with it. The 6600 is a good card but wouldn't make the chipset run warm the way an 8-Series card will so it wouldn't freeze things up.
    Thank God we're not getting all of the government we're paying for!

Possibly the wrong video card drivers? I've tired some det of drivers not listed as wholesale in the past and had artifacting and freezing. make sure you or him goes to the Nvidia site right off and download the correct drivers from waht they specifiy for that card. Nvidia use 169.21 fro all the cards unified, but the 8500 series might require a diff. driver.

Also, check the control panel console under 3D setings and set that up correctly . read the bottom as it helps if unknowledgable.

I agree that fans are there for a reson. I would nver ever run a card or CPU with its fan not working properly. Make sure the plugins are correct if required like PSU connctor and that its connected tight an snug.

If all else, then possibly you gots a bad video card.. it happens. Not too often though. lol
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

BTW did u know that those cheap power supply is actually less than what it have. So i think u better get a 500+watt.. atleast with a brand.

If you can afford a good video card why can't get a better power supply.
    Leo

Still no freezes ever since the northbridge fan started working, that must've been the problem.