Thread: That was close.. corrupted boot log plus

That was close.. corrupted boot log plus

I must be either a lucky dog or like this day , which has been great so far, i came ever so close to having to re-install my OS. That would have been fine with me, but i haven't done a backup, and since i just got the torrid 'blue screen of death' as they say, and had not moed anything ,or remember all i had on there.. wow!

What happened was i ran my registry cleaner, which is a good one (recommended ) 'Registry Booster 2', and not beig too bright, i nver looked at the logs it came up with, and just cleaned what it found.
    Now, i use a desktop enhancment program, 'Style XP', which is operating fine, and a few weeks ago i started using its 'bootscreen program ,which works well also.

I did notice some entry it found pertaining to that program and thought nothing of it.

Soo, I eseveral and all F8 options, and no luck and even default values and still the blue screen, so i kind of gave up and gave in to having to reload a fresh install. Upon that i tried the 'repair istall', thinking that might fix the issue, and also used command prompt,which i'm not familliar with.. and got lost in that. Kept asking for my password, which i have NONE. ( never can understand that. )

Upon exitng it rebooted with normal load screen in 'Style XP", and went into the chkdsk, which i did choose in list of commands.

once again it found just one entry and fixed that,booted up and there ya go. i'm back in the hunt. 'Welcome screen and normal once again.

Forgive me but even with a shadow copy of OS or other, how is one supposed to doo that when one cannot even get the thing to boot up? I know that may sound dumb, but every so often my feeble brain is a bit slow.

Side note: Am thinking of reloading or fresh install anyway son as i have tried evrything i know and online fixes, and system still takes 80 secs. to shut down. That just plain bothers me to no end. Does not make sense. The registry fixes as outlined did nothing whatsoever.
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

Wait, so this "registry cleaner" let you hose your system and you admit "did nothing whatsoever" and yet you still say it's (recommended)?

I hate to state the obvious, but if you spent half the time doing proper maintenance that you waste posting these loong "discussions", you wouldn't be having these troubles.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Ultimate Member
    I have to agree. Rabbit is too experienced to be making
    new user mistakes. As to reg cleaners, you should not
    need them & if you do use them, be Very Careful. Even
    CCleaner can delete things which are needed if you are
    not careful. Same with Hijack This

Rabbit, get a good program, such as
    Ghost or TruImage and as soon as you get everything as
    you like it & stable, make an image. Make a new one every
    few months or after any major change. And backup your
    personal data files after they change or when you restore
    an image, some data will not be up to date.

Quote Originally Posted by richard_cocks
    Wait, so this "registry cleaner" let you hose your system and you admit "did nothing whatsoever" and yet you still say it's (recommended)?
    You obviously need the right solution to the problem. An oil change on a car that won't hold traction when it rains isn't going to help it, you probably need new tires. It probably didn't do anything because it isn't the solution to the problem. Granted I've never used it so I can't really say firsthand. Oh and anything can "let" you hose your system. Everything is subject to user error. Live and learn to be more careful. I don't remember the last time I went to run fdisk on a drive and there was a profound process that completely rejected my choosing yes to continue.

RR Glad you were able to save your system. Chkdsk has saved my machine before.
    7 7 7 Trinity <><

ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 Mobo
    AMD Phenom II 955 Black Edition
    XFX ATi Radeon 5850 XXX Edition
    2x2gb A-DATA PC3 12800
    500GB WD5000AAKS SATA2 HD
    80GB WD SATA HD

Tough crowd
    "Vegetarians live up to nine years longer than the rest of us...Nine horrible, worthless, baconless years."

LOL yeah i never know just how one will take these things... Actualy, i do run and use all the good programs, and yes, this kind of thing is just why i've always been lirious of them. I should have looked at what it posted or found. Next time.

Reason i haven't done an image is i am skeptical hat even this current running is good enough all around to warrant it, but then again thats a judgement call. Wouldn't hurt thats for sure.

And just for all those who wonder, i bet any number of things happen to us all over time with any OS, as its just the nature of this OS. In truth, the precentage of real problems i have gotten is still less then most, maybe i sound contrary there.

Got it 'Train' you are correct. Shame on me huh?
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Rabit, save yourself some time and hdd space, get rid of all the those programs and like ones, that have chewed on you.

Chock them up as nasties anf forget about them, but do remember they are nasties.