I must be either a lucky dog or like this day , which has been great so far, i came ever so close to having to re-install my OS. That would have been fine with me, but i haven't done a backup, and since i just got the torrid 'blue screen of death' as they say, and had not moed anything ,or remember all i had on there.. wow!

What happened was i ran my registry cleaner, which is a good one (recommended ) 'Registry Booster 2', and not beig too bright, i nver looked at the logs it came up with, and just cleaned what it found.
Now, i use a desktop enhancment program, 'Style XP', which is operating fine, and a few weeks ago i started using its 'bootscreen program ,which works well also.

I did notice some entry it found pertaining to that program and thought nothing of it.

Soo, I eseveral and all F8 options, and no luck and even default values and still the blue screen, so i kind of gave up and gave in to having to reload a fresh install. Upon that i tried the 'repair istall', thinking that might fix the issue, and also used command prompt,which i'm not familliar with.. and got lost in that. Kept asking for my password, which i have NONE. ( never can understand that. )

Upon exitng it rebooted with normal load screen in 'Style XP", and went into the chkdsk, which i did choose in list of commands.

once again it found just one entry and fixed that,booted up and there ya go. i'm back in the hunt. 'Welcome screen and normal once again.

Forgive me but even with a shadow copy of OS or other, how is one supposed to doo that when one cannot even get the thing to boot up? I know that may sound dumb, but every so often my feeble brain is a bit slow.

Side note: Am thinking of reloading or fresh install anyway son as i have tried evrything i know and online fixes, and system still takes 80 secs. to shut down. That just plain bothers me to no end. Does not make sense. The registry fixes as outlined did nothing whatsoever.