Thread: Notebook speedstep stuck at 600MHz

Ultimate Member

Notebook speedstep stuck at 600MHz

First of all, hi, I'm back!

I'm having a problem with a Dell D600 notebook (1.6GHz P-M, 512MB DDR) running XP SP2.

This notebook that hasn't been giving me issues until today. I was encoding video and it seemed unusually slow, playback was slow, even using the OS was slow.

After fiddling with diagnostics and finding nothing wrong with the system, I looked at the CPU speed and it seemed stuck at 6x100, even on AC power and F@H running 100% in the background. This is strange, as normally speedstep would boost the speed to 16x100, but after checking with multiple utilities, I confirmed it was stuck at 6x100 regardless of what was running.

There is advice out there to disable speedstep - well, that won't work in my case because disabling speedstep locks it to the lowest setting. Setting XP to "always on" does nothing to remedy the situation, and fiddling around with utilities like RMclock to force the multiplier up manually doesn't work either. The temperature seems fine and no TM2 throttling is happening as confirmed by Throttlewatch and RMclock.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the processor driver too. Nope, still stuck.
    Last edited by causticVapor; 03-28-2008 at 04:56 PM.

Hi, CV long time hope- you are well.

Can't help with speedstep but i'm sure it will be picked up for ya.
    During deep sleep IT came to me and the future of processing is clear.
    Future processors will primarily be digital tuning radios acting as grid computing nodes.
    Voila. See ya in hell.
    PROCESSING

Ultimate Member
    Have a look at the processor driver. SpeedStep in SP2 is done by a native, specific processor driver - intelppm.sys in your case. If you have the generic processr.sys there, it won't work.

New chipset drivers? In this case, the Intel INF.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Ultimate Member
    Intel's chipset "driver" set does not actually contain drivers - just less generic chipset component NAMES for Device Manager.

The intelppm driver is part of the regular Windows distribution, available through Windows Update if anything.

Ultimate Member
    Well, the intel chipset drivers were already installed so I assumed that wasn't the problem.

I searched for intelppm.sys and it's in the \system32 folder. What's odd now is that everything seems to work - go on battery power, CPU goes to 6x. Plug in and run F@H, CPU goes to 16x.

I'll report back in if things get weird again. Thanks