Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Vista SP1 is finally here!

Vista SP1 is finally here!

It seems like forever, but the official Service Pack 1 for Vista is available from Microsoft.

32bit Package (434.5 MB) (x86)

64bit package (726.5 MB) (x64)

Expect SLOW downloads the first few days, or wait for the crowd at the trough to clear out.
    Thank God we're not getting all of the government we're paying for!

Let us know how it goes
    Then I'll wait another month..
    "Vegetarians live up to nine years longer than the rest of us...Nine horrible, worthless, baconless years."

Darn - that's bigger than the entire Windows 2000 CD!
    MS MCP, MCSE

It should be on a DVD too, I hope. Can you imagine trying to download that with dialup?
    Thank God we're not getting all of the government we're paying for!

I got mine a few days ago. Didn't do much. Hibernation (both ways) is faster. Shut down is faster, but boot up, as if it's mocking me, WOULD be faster if there now weren't a spot where it stops doing anything for a few seconds. It's like Microsoft is saying "we cooouuuuld make your boot time shorter, but we won't!"

What's weird is mine only said 68mb in the Windows update thing. Apparently it downloads the rest in the background or something. I dunno, I'm on DSL and the whole process took less than 45 minutes.

I did finally get back that hour of battery life I lost when I went from XP to Vista though.

Trying it out right now, don't know whether I'll keep it or not. D/L was not bad @ 938KB/s, but it seems my pc takes quite a while longer to start up.
    SAVING FACE OR LOSING FACE

Quote Originally Posted by BipolarBill
    Darn - that's bigger than the entire Windows 2000 CD!
    If you have been installing Vista updates all along, you'll have to download a lot less if you do it through Windows Update. I had to download ~130MB.

I installed a few hours ago, no issues during the install and seems to be running just fine now. I ran 3DMark before and after SP1, no significant changes in my scores.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Got 32 bit download in 25 minutes.

Fixing to do a clean install so will be installing it in a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by cdroman
    Trying it out right now, don't know whether I'll keep it or not. D/L was not bad @ 938KB/s, but it seems my pc takes quite a while longer to start up.
    It seems Superfetch and indexing redo themselves when you do SP1. Since I never cared for either of those things, mine have been off and stayed off, but I saw reports of this from other people who found that after a few days this apparent problem went away.

Quote Originally Posted by athlonfan
    It seems Superfetch and indexing redo themselves when you do SP1. Since I never cared for either of those things, mine have been off and stayed off, but I saw reports of this from other people who found that after a few days this apparent problem went away.
    I hope that's the reason. We'll see. All else seems fine so far.
    SAVING FACE OR LOSING FACE

12min to download the 32-bit version of SP1 from the download center.
    About 27 minutes for the 64-bit version.

Of course I started the 64-bit download about 5 minutes after the 32-bit download. So the times actually slowed down.
    Lost 320KB/sec download speed for the 32-bit after starting the 64-bit download.

Just for kicks, I checked what the guestimated dial-up time would be for the 32-bit, Microsoft claims 17 hours 14 minutes. The 64-bit, 29 hours 17 minutes.

I did all three of my Vista 64 machines from Update when it was on briefly in February. All have worked well after two or three self repair hiccups.

Today I removed SP1 from one machine thinking this SP1 must surely be an improved version. It is not it is in fact the same one.
    Rig 1, MSI K9A2 Platinum, 6400 Blackie, 2 X 2048 AData, MSI 3870; Rig 2, MSI K9A2 CF, 5000 Blackie, 2 X 1024 Patriot PC6400, ATI X1900 XT, Rig 3, Abit AN8 Fatal1ty, Opteron 185, 2 X 1024 Corsair PC3200C2PT ATI X1950 XTX Rig 4 Abit UL8 3800 X850 Pro

Just updated my brothers (20mins DL), hes running Ultimate 32bit, and now his network card and AV dont work. NW card is a Linksys G, and AV is ZoneAlarm Complete. So I think im gunna have to un-install SP1, since theres no updates on either products.
    Take it Day by Day, Thats all we can do....

| AMD Athlon 64 x2 (5800+)| | XP Pro SP3 |
    | AMD690GM-M2 | | Antec 900 | | Corsair 2gb 667 DDR2 |
    | OCZ Vanquisher CPU cooler |

I did mine through the Windows update it took me 17 minutes. I just did the switch to Vista, right now my start up lags a bit. But I need to do some tweaking. I do notice improvements and better reception on my wireless network. And I did away with space hogging eye candy effects. So for now no problems, but I'm still keeping XP on my notebook.
    Asus M2N-E, AMD 64 X2 4200, Asus GeForce 9600 GSO, 3GB Kingston DDR2, Seagate IDE 160GB, Maxtor IDE 200GB, Dell 24" E248WFP

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    I did install the SP1 and run it a few days.

Then for the heck of it, Did a clean install then installed SP1 and since I have been very pleased with the outcome, now that I have gotten rid of the restore cd and garbage. Bootup and shutdown take about as long, but all else is much quicker.

I was worth the wipe and clean install to me.