Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Average User?

Average User?

This might be a loades question but I'll ask for opinions or thoughts anyhow.

I have seen in many forums when the topic comes to Linux it is almost always stated by someone that Linux is not ready for the "average" user.

My question is who or what is the "average user" and what kind of things do they use or do? Does computing experience play into it?

Please, let's keep this on topic and not turn it into another debate over which OS is better. Or Linux s**** or MS s*****. If you want to make those kinds of posts please don't, I'm not interested in that debate! I'm also going to ask this same question on a general Linux forum. Not a distro specific forum to compare.

Thanks everyone, looking forward to your replies and thoughts. But again please, let's keep it civil and on topic.

The "average user" is someone who, when using a computer, if they encounter a problem will call best buy to get their computer fixed rather than deal with it themselves.

By that definition, even the latest version of Ubuntu isn't ready for the "average user". I've had to use the command line to configure several things in Ubuntu...definitely something the "average user" would not know how to do.

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    When Microsoft was still writing the first few versions of Windows (until right after 3.11 Windows for Workgroups), the average user was a command line DOS junkie. You had to write batch files for everything.

When Windows went GUI based with Windows NT and Windows 95, the average user changed from night to day. Very few people understand how things work, they simply learn what each click can do. There is nothing to understand anymore.

Until Linux grows up like Windows did, it is not and will not be ready for the average user of today.

So an average user knows how to turn it in, use word or note pad, read email, surf the web, put in a CD or DVD and run it. Maybe even knows how to download a program from the internet and make it work?

That last one might be pushing it.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Wordpad and notepad are beyond a lot of clients abilities.

Wow, so far it appears the average user is dumber than I thought!

A high end user will usually even know how to create a formula in Excel. If you work in a desktop support role or on the helpdesk, you know how poorly most users describe their problems. Technicians and users apparently talk two completely different languages.

Quote Originally Posted by Sterling_Aug
    Until Linux grows up like Windows did, it is not and will not be ready for the average user of today.
    Thanks, but in 2 posts you still haven't described what an average user is even though you have just used the same phrase.

Examples:
    My father-in-law plays and installs games, burns CD's and has even upgraded a video card yet cannot forward an email with all the carp edited out of it. Some that have attachments have to be opened 3-5 times before you can get to the attachment. Now I consider him an average user.

My 60 year old sister who's only been using a computer for about 3 months has already learned how to download doll cloths patterns on the internet and print them
    She's even learned how to use a few of the programs in an old Works program I'd given her. Is that an average user?

Also have a younger brother and my 20 something daughter that barely know how to turn one on and I consider them as non-users.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Your father-in-law is just above the average that I see and deal with.

You would be surprised that most folks can not burn cds and he really is flying as he upgraded a video card.

Get on the internet maybe able to deal with email to a extent, unable to clean out 4 or 5 forwards yet, yes to downloading and printing out stuff. And congratulate your sister, she is doing great for 6 months. But that just my thoughts on the subject.

Notice I did not say anything about the DOS like commands that can be run or building computers, ripping music, making video dvds, etc. Those are steps further up the ladder.

Thanks Train,
    Again, just trying to get a handle on what people think is average. I do not work in the industry so all I can go by is the people I know around me.

My perception of an average user would be someone that can buy a new computer, load and setup the OS and software. Configure their email and browser settings, Plug in the printer and install the software for it. Have an idea of what other programs they need or want, like burning, photo, or office programs. Know how to change wall paper and such settings.

Anything less than that I would think that is a below average user in todays world. I see 6th and 7th grade kids that know way more than that and they think they are average users by their standards.

Just like when it comes to cell phones, I know I'm an idiot! But then I don't use one either.

I am not a Computer Tech and I would say I am above 80% of the folks at work. I use Word, Excel, Outlook, Powerpoint, a little Access at home and work. Work uses Lotus Notes in lieu of Outlook I get by with it but not nearly as well as I can use Outlook. We also have scads of Proprietary software and tons of security. I can normally endure it but many others at work cannot. No one is stone stupid there. My primary workmate has a masters degree and a great deal of mechanical and electrical technical background. His computer and it's programs are always giving him fits. Networks? you are kidding right?

We use XP Pro (32 Bit) and we would have a meltdown if we switched to Linux.

I myself used Basic with the Commodore 64's and 128's that I would not turn loose of till the early 90's. I used DOS somewhat poorly, but could do what I wanted after awhile. Like Sterling said Win 95 set me free... I have tried so many distros, I don't have enough fingers and toes to count Usually I format and install Windows within a week. Like I say I think I am above average, but I want to use my computer, not have it use me.. Linux has a learning curve that I have proven to be unwilling to keep after. I don't want to "Master" Linux it is not important enough to me.
    Rig 1, MSI K9A2 Platinum, 6400 Blackie, 2 X 2048 AData, MSI 3870; Rig 2, MSI K9A2 CF, 5000 Blackie, 2 X 1024 Patriot PC6400, ATI X1900 XT, Rig 3, Abit AN8 Fatal1ty, Opteron 185, 2 X 1024 Corsair PC3200C2PT ATI X1950 XTX Rig 4 Abit UL8 3800 X850 Pro

pandaz3,
    I can appreciate your post also. I've been in a warehousing environment were everyone uses computers all day long processing orders and moving inventory. Most of the people I've worked with are very comfortable at computers and know basic trouble shooting of the programs they run. Yes, the network stuff they call the IT dept.

Once again though, I'm not trying to convert anyone to use any OS. I believe that is a personal choice. I still use Windows and I like it. I also have been using Linux and I like that also. So what! The only one that matters to is me. Right? At the same time I don't tell people not to drive Chevy's because I drive Fords or not to buy Dells because I own Compaqs.

I am not a tech, but consider myself above average as a user. Many of my friends and relatives ask me for advice on which OS to use. I always try and recommend the OS that I think will give them the least problems, XP, or Vista is the way to go. I get them to install self updating software, and make them a folder of safe cleaning software to run a couple of times a month. This will keep them going problem free for a long, long time these days.
    I have quite a lot of problems with different versions of linux not finding all my hardware when I do an install; I consider this a big pain in the ***** and no longer even try out linux lately. I would never ask one of my average user friends to even consider using an OS like that.
    People now days have more and more things on their plate, and are too busy to learn the ins and outs of an OS. The average user to me; just wants to go to the pc, do what they want and leave. When something screws up, they don't have the time, and don't want to be bothered to try and fix it, let alone learn more in depth about it. I don't consider them dumb, or stupid; just as people with different priorities in life.
    SAVING FACE OR LOSING FACE

Quote Originally Posted by cdroman
    The average user to me; just wants to go to the pc, do what they want and leave. When something screws up, they don't have the time, and don't want to be bothered to try and fix it, let alone learn more in depth about it.
    You hit it on the head with this statement.

The average user has no interest in what is wrong when a PC breaks or doesn't do exactly what they want/expect it to do. They just want it to work. Period!.

Most above average users become PC support techs for friends or family. Those people above this level go on to enter the IT industry and become technicians, etc. We care above the hows and whys of the ways a PC works. We learn about hardware and software, we write programs, we create networks at home, etc. Computers become a passion, not a job or a hobby.

I once had a user years ago that if the computer did not do what she expected it to do, then she would just start banging on different keys until the system completely locked up or files got deleted, then she would call for help. She would then admit that she just kept trying different keys and she expected us to figure out what she did wrong.