Thread: Ati X700Pro set secondary as primary

Ati X700Pro set secondary as primary

Perhaps a stupid question, but I have a X700Pro hooked up to a HP W2207 LCD, it has vga and dvi.

I had the monitor hooked up on my laptop as primary, but now that I finished my new rig, I want to use dvi as primary.

Is this possible?

The vga is the primary on the X700 and the dvi is the secondary.

Reason for me asking is that when the monitor is hooked up using vga I have no issues, but when I hook the dvi as primary it's giving me all sorts of problems.

Main problem is that my screen goes blank with the message, monitor going into sleep mode.

Searched on the internet and came across all sorts of horror stories regarding edid problems and people altering the edid data and uploading it to the lcd screen.

I've also found something on the ati/amd site regarding blank screen on dvi port and I've tried suggested workaround, namely putting the service Ati Hotkey Poller in Manual mode instead of Automatic.

This has helped a bit, windows works normally for maybe 15 minutes, then goes blank again.

Used latest ati drivers at first, after noticing problems downgraded to catalyst 7.6

The lcd seems to work fine when I disable hardware acceleration on the vid card, but whats the use of the card without the accelleration.

Is what I'm experiencing because of the known issue or is it just the fact that I'm trying to run my secondary port (dvi) as primary that's the root of my problems.
    Win XP Pro SP3
    AMD Athlon 64 5000+ Black edition
    2 Gb DDR2 Transcend Ram (2x 1 Gb)
    Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3

Peak Radeon HD3870

Spoke with Gigabyte tech support, I've send them an e-mail with my problem and the workaround offered by Ati that didn't work and told them that Ati suggests a firmware update for the videocard.

They're looking into the matter.
    Win XP Pro SP3
    Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3

Peak Radeon HD3870

What apps are you running? With some applications and a lot of the "older" generation of video cards, hardware acceleration can create issues. If memory serves me, I remember having to disable it for several applications, though my memory is not good enough to remember which...
    Profanity: a weak mind trying to express itself forcibly.
    http://www.thegopnet.com

It looks like everything's ok now, I'm not experiencing the monitor going to sleep screen anymore when connected via dvi.

The symptoms were exactly as mentioned on the ati support site, screen going blank when connected to dvi, workaround didn't help, so called gigabyte tech support if they had new bios for videocard, they were going to look into it.

Was going crazy so today gave it one more try. Installed latest catalyst drivers, connected through vga was having screen corruption.

Reboot with dvi, screen ok, logged into windows, in services put "ati hotkey poller" on manual, reboot. In display settings the monitor wasn't recognized properly, was giving resolutions higher then 1680*1050 but was seeing the monitor as HP w2207, enabling option not to show unsupported resolutions, would still showing unsupported resolutions.

Was really thinking that I'd have to edit the EDID information of the monitor but the Viewsonic EDID editor wasn't able to download the EDID info, stating make sure that windows 2000 recognizes monitor.

Luckily I stumbled upon a diagnostic software that comes installed with HP My Display, it gives the option to remove old monitor keys from the registry, after running this and a reboot, the monitor was recognized correctly and has been running without problems so far, keeping fingers crossed.
    Win XP Pro SP3
    Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3

Peak Radeon HD3870