Thread: Vista no load after rebuild

Vista no load after rebuild

Howdy!
    I broke my motherboard (don't ask) and replaced it with the same. When I fired it up the first time it would not go passed the loading screen. In safe mode it alwas stops at "\windows\system32\drivers\crcdisk.sys"So I stick in my installation disk and it just says it's loading files and go'es back to the loading page and hangs there looking or waiting for some driver or comand. One try at rebooting did get me to my password prompt, but the next screen told me I needed to activate windows. Dumb me, I turned the machine off and connected my internet cable but I never did get to my password screen again. I cant even use the motherboard installation disk to try to load driverd as it jumps right to the sata/ raid, make disk page. I have a feeling it's got something to do with the motherboard drivers, but if I can't access them on the installation disk...??

Any help will be greatly appriciated!
    TY
    Creeper
    Specs:
    ASUS Crosshair
    AMD 64 X2 6400 BE
    2 gig OCZ Platinum DDR2 800
    2x WD 78gig Raptors Raid 0
    Vista Home Premium
    2 BFG 7900GTX OC
    Creative XFi
    Sony DVDRW Dual Layer
    Enermax Galaxy Dx X 1000
    Koolance EXOS2 (GPU)
    CoolIt Freezone(CPU)

CRC is Cyclic Redundancy Check and may indicate damaged RAM or a failing hard drive.

You need to run diagnostics for both the hard drive and the RAM. Use WDC's diagnostic for the RAID array (DOS version) first.

I'm sure that you've been warned about the fragility of RAID 0. Well, here is where it bites you. Switching motherboards breaks the array because you have a new controller. You need to complete the break and then rebuild the array to install Windows. You need to feed Windows the proper drivers when installing too.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Thanx for the reply Bill!
    Indeed it was a memory problem. I had backed up the raid array to an external drive with Acronis, prior to the unfortunate occurance with the motherboard, so I had no trouble rebuiling the array. The problem was that I had the memory set to 800mz. I Googled the point at which the OS kept stopping and found the suggestion to remove all but 1 stick of memory and turn it back to 400mz. It was the first suggestion I tried and it worked
    Everything is up and running again.

TY
    Creeper
    Specs:
    ASUS Crosshair
    AMD 64 X2 6400 BE
    Vista Home Premium
    2 BFG 7900GTX OC
    Creative XFi
    Sony DVDRW Dual Layer
    Enermax Galaxy Dx X 1000
    Koolance EXOS2 (GPU)
    CoolIt Freezone(CPU)

Good news!

Just be careful. RAID arrays are controller-dependent. Luckily, your True Image backups are accessible via Explorer, so you can retrieve data that way if you must. If you are ever so unfortunate that you either cannot replace the mobo or you want to upgrade hardware, that RAID 0 backup will be useless for restoration purposes.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Yup, I figured as much. That's why I backup regularly to my external drive.

TY
    Creeper
    Specs:
    ASUS Crosshair
    AMD 64 X2 6400 BE
    Vista Home Premium
    2 BFG 7900GTX OC
    Creative XFi
    Sony DVDRW Dual Layer
    Enermax Galaxy Dx X 1000