Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Installing Vista

Installing Vista

In an earlier post I made http://www.sysopt.com/forum/showthre...47#post1435247
    I got my self and brand new shiny system and as you can see I order 4GB of ram so I was going to need a 64-bit operating system. I've installed Vista 64 and have had some "fun" (if you can call it that) getting it to work.

Here are some of the problems I ran in to and a way around them.

Installing Vista on a system with more than 3 GB of RAM
    If you try this with either 32-bit or 64 then the installation will fail and you'll get the BSOD. This happened to me and my friend (we were installing the same OS on the same hardware) and has us stumped for hours.

This is the work around. Install Vista with less than 3GB of ram, It should complete the installation and boot up. Go to this microsoft site and install the patch, restart you machine and let the update configure. After that shut down your machine and install the rest of your ram. Sorted

Vista Pauses on "Completing Installation"
    This one was a little more tricky, when the installation comes up to this phase everything seems normal, mouse is working and the "..." animation is still going but nothing seems to happen (I waited an hour before I got suspcious). I'm not 100% sure what I did to correct this but this is what I did.

I made sure only 1 stick was in the first slot of the motherboard and removed the network cable.

Luckily my friend had the excact same problem on the exact same hardware, He tried this (the machines where side be side incase your wondering) and this worked for him too.

And thats all the trouble I've had with Vista... took 5 hours to install but it's working now

Hope this helps someone out.

Tony
    "I once prayed to god for a bike, but quickly found out he didnt work that way...so I stole a bike and prayed for his forgiveness"

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    I had no problems installing several different versions of 32bit and 64bit Vista on systems with 4GB of RAM. I wonder what your problem really was. It sounds like a chipset driver issue to me.

Possibly, According to Microsoft this happens when your system meets these requirements:

• The computer uses more than 3 GB of RAM.
    • The computer uses a storage system that is running the Storport miniport driver.
    • The computer uses a controller that uses 32-bit direct memory access (DMA).
    "I once prayed to god for a bike, but quickly found out he didnt work that way...so I stole a bike and prayed for his forgiveness"

I have the same problem with installing Vista Home Premium and all stops at 'completing installation'.

I am doing a clean install to a Maxtor 160GB IDE HD. I have 2.5 GB DRAM in place as shown: in 1 & 2 of the four slots on the Asus Guru A17 MOBO are
    2 X Corsair 1 GB matched pair and
    in slots 3 & 4 are
    2 X Corsair 256 MB matched.
    P 4 2.8 GB processor and Win XP Pro is on another internal HD. Will my memory combination also cause the freeze?
    Shall I stop the install process and switch off?

docusk

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Remove the second set as a test and see if the install run correctly.
    What I would try next.

OK I'll do that tomorrow as soon as I get up but....
    "What I would try next" ???????? Huh?
    docusk

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    I have just enough differences in ram to cause you problem and that is why I would remove one set and try that as my next step.

Have not hit it often, but have run into it. Why my statement.

Goddit Train. That will be the 2 X 256Mb Corsairs

I'm on the case Manana you can bet.

I did have a free day tomorrow, not often happens to an old guy with so many children, grandchildren and great grandchildren. Sports days abound at this time of year but not till Tuesday Afternoon then Wednesday morning etc..
    Thanks again.
    docusk

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Did you pick them up the same day, or several months apart.

Been nailed by the several manths aprt myself!

Yah gots me by 15 years.
    And probably in the number of Grands too.
    Last edited by Train; 06-22-2008 at 03:21 PM.

You helped me on another post 'Memory not being recognised' earlier this week. Asus Guru A 17 MOBO.

I did have 1 GB in 2 X matched pairs of 256 Mb. I then wanted to upgrade to 2GB and that was in a matched pair of 1 GB . I left 2 X 256 Mb in situ and after you guys sorted my problem of pussyfooting around and not pushing hard enough on the memory sticks,
    I now have 2.5 GB.
    The original 2 matched prs of 256 Mb are about 2 years old and the pair of 1 GB came last week.
    Bearing in mind what you and others on my the M$ so-called support forum have said, I'll reduce the mem to 2 GB by taking out the pair of 256 Mb s tomorrow and see how it goes. I still have XP Pro on another HD and this Inspiron laptop so I'm not stuck but I hate to waste money. Give it away, yes but waste it, hell no.
    docusk

[I'm doing pretty well for 80 I think. Still having a great ife.]

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    I like your plan and it should work.

Congratulations on the gumption to work on computers, let alone mess with them.

Shock how many folks our ages, that absolutely refuse to even touch computers.

Yes but I've been doing since 1979 using DOS and BASIC to do simple management apps, mileage for staff, hours per patient day (was a nurse) etc. Times have changed! My first PC had a tiny HD but ran an early version of windows and crashed frequently. I did much work with databases and various end user software but hardware was never my strong point.

Just started the upgrade (again) all well so far.
    docusk

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Just so it keeps going.

Retired in 1982 to stay away from computers. USArmy.
    Now see I should have stayed and learned DOS, since I do use DOS like commands enough. LOL

ARMY??? Nobody's perfect. Ex Navy myself. (ho ho ho)
    doc

Smile

Latest news on upgrade to Vists.
    This could be a winner! (in some circumstances!)
    After being blown out several times, woke up this morning determined to conquer this thing.
    I opened My Computer and noticed that the disk I was trying to install on said size 152 Gb, free space 150 GB. Now, I thought, how's that as I'd formatted it and it should be empty. So, thinks - with me old DOS hat on - have a look see if there's a hidden file. Tried ATTRIB and lo and behold, up comes a file called PAGEFILE.SYS.
    That shouldn't be there I'm sure, as surely Vista will set up it's own PAGEFILE.SYS but, just in case, I moved it to a safe place on another disk and started again. Went down for breakfast and when I got back after my cornflakes and OJ plus the daily paper cover to cover, there was Vista, fully installed and waiting for me to do the fine tuning.
    So. The pagefile must have been blocking something it didn't want or need as it starts now every time. Now I have to find out how to dual boot, say into the XP on the C: drive, also how to reach the files in the C: and d: drives from within Vista. Important things like MS Office and my Outlook Express files and the .IAF files.
    Perhaps the foregoing might merit a little tiny teeny weeny sticky?
    Huh?

docusk, pleased with himself for once.