Thread: OEM Vista and activation

OEM Vista and activation

Just bought a lappy on Ebay. It came with XP installed but for a little extra the guy thru in Vista. Now these are both Dell versions of both of these OS's.
    When you put on XP it goes straight on with no 25 digit code because it is Dell's version.

I went ahead and deleted XP because I wanted Vista. It was also Dell's version of Vista with the Dell logo. I guess they call that OEM don't they?

Anyhow Vista wanted to activate. Now why is this? Because I have no code for Vista. He just gave me the disk. No 25 pin code. Shouldn't it just go on like XP or is Vista built differently where you need the code no matter what?

I can get in touch with the guy to ask them about the code if I have to. Just wanted to get straight on this Vista thing.
    Thanks for your response.

Hey, that would be a great way for Dell to sell an XP system that can be "upgraded instantly" to Vista...send the disk and make you call in with a credit card number to retrieve a license...

I'm not certain what happened, but that would be a great marketing gimmick if it did happen.

Ultimate Member
    With Vista, you need to enter the correct Product Code
    so Microsoft and Vista know which Verision (Home / Ultimate, etc)
    you are wanting to install.

You deleted xp...but did the seller leave the ghost image on the hdd? When booting up, hit F11 just after post, and it 'should' go to the dell restore menu, if the partition wasn't deleted.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It was Home Premium. I can always put XP back on the lappy. I paid extra for the Vista DVD btw
    Thanks for your response.