Thread: Access 2003 and Low powered CPUs

Access 2003 and Low powered CPUs

Odd situation. Have access 2003 databases that link to visual foxpro tables. On desktops with Intel Core2 or core duo or Athlon X2 processors everything works fine as long as the OS is XP home. If the OS is XP pro then any editing of a query or table results in Access locking up and not responding. On the few laptops we have running either the athlon Turion or the core2 CPU the same thing happens. So far the only way we can run our databases is to use a Intel Pentium 4, a Core2 Duo, a Core Duo or the Athlon 64 x2 running XP home. There seems to be an issue with XP pro and the less powerful Chips. All the machines have at least 1GB oef Ram. Anyone heard of this or something similar? If we use a PC with a Celeron Chip the software locks up instantly. I have Tried Office 2003 SP-1, 2 and 3. and also tried XP SP3 as well. I have done some searches on MS kb but no luck yet. is there some issue (network or security) that is not part of XP home that allows our stuff to run or a lack of horsepower in the chip themselves. Or is it because most of our development is done on these XP home machines? ANy help or ideas are greatly appreciated I have been fighting this since Jan 2 when we switched over to Access 2003.

Thanks in advance

It could be a problem with the Access 2003 and Foxpro.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824264

Thanks Midknyte but we do have a working ODBC Driver installed on the working and the non-working machines. everything seems to point to the lower end CPUs or the ones in laptops. Anyone know about how Access uses the higher math functions of the CPU? Anyway thanks again Midknyte and if there is any thing else you think might help PLEASE don't hesitate to fire it my way.

Thanks again
    Will