Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 'Crysis' Any more thoughts on this game?

'Crysis' Any more thoughts on this game?

Yesterday, i got ahold of the full game and have been playing it.., and since the only thread i noticed here in the past was about the demo, I kind of wantted to start a general discussion on the game.

I played the demo and loved it, and that was with my older system, but now i am playing the full game with this new upgrade, and i'm so far very impressed with everything about the game.
    What impresses me most is the fluidness and overall operation of the game. it appears i am playing it full steam,without a glitch to be found, and find thats strange these days,with patches and all needed right off the bat.

Loving the gameplay so far, and also give credos for how they made the menu and game controls.. All work very well.

Some reviewers thought the game was a little short or that the ending was a bit funky.. but personally i might feel that way somewhat ( who knows ), but so far i like it alot. Just tickled pink to be playing it. LOL
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

I thought it fell a bit short. Crysis definitely doesn't look like the videos and screenshots we've seen over the years leading up to the Crysis release, and it certainly doesn't perform as well as they said it would. I can remember about a year or so ago (might have been at E3), someone saying that a Crysis demo was running on a 7900GTX at high settings. My 8800GTS can barely run the game at Medium, so something was definitely screwy there...

I'm waiting until a patch for the game, hoping for some miracle improvement that most likely won't be there.

Actually, even though it does look good to me, comparing it to ..lets say 'FarCry' and its graphics i tend to agree. I think the folige and some other looked better in that game.
    I still like the game though. It plays fine with my older mid range card> no slow downs for me..thus far. I mean..obvioulsy not as good as a top line vidoe card, but very good FPS to the naked eye.. ( 25-30 avg. ) My previous CPU , the 3800 and only one GB ram it played fine also, but now it plays alot better.

Maybe after i complete the game, i might have more critical reviews.
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

The game runs ok at best.... I tend to agree that they overhyped the performance of the game, and for that, most people were severely disappointed at the final product. This game has unprecedented visuals... There is not a single game on the market that can hold a candle to Crysis. However, it comes with a major hit in performance even on "uber rigs" with QX9650's and Tri-sli 8800 Ultras. For that reason, I don't think this game was ready for release. They set the specs too high for most gamers... I mean, my PC from about 4 years ago could BARELY play the game, and for as much money as I spent on that rig, that's pretty disappointing.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the game. I've played the game through twice. First time was with everything on high, which was awesomely fun, even though the frame rate wasn't the best. The second time was with a tweaked config file that instanced a lot of the "DX10" features on the game, and while it looked absolutely gorgeous, I can't say I'd recommend playing the game at those settings. There were quite a few times where the framerates dropped into the low teens, but the game didn't lag at all, so it was still playable.

Anyway, some food for thought. I think the game was coded brilliantly, but the game itself is way ahead of its time.
    Core 2 Duo E6600 | eVGA 680i SLI | eVGA 8800 GTX | Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum | Corsair XMS2 2GB PC2-6400 800mhz @ 4-4-4-12 | Western Digital 500GB Caviar HDD | OCZ GameXStream 700-watt PSU | 24" Acer X241W LCD

LOL Its my nature to kind of rush to judgement sometimes> Well said MP. I get os caught up in being ahppy about playing the game, initially, I just wasn't being subjective.

The games features while good, are not all that earth shattering, After i posted this last night i played some more of the game, and the visuals or graphics look kind of fuzzy to me. Seems as the game goes on, the visual got worst or something.
    the AI is pretty good, but those geeky Koreans or whomever are kinda silly. Not at all like 'FarCry', where the characters had some style and not as paper cutter.

Cannot tell really how the game reacts to you guys as far as FPS or other. Seems ot run just fine for me, as far as a high end game goes.. Not like slow motion of anything.. At least the menus and controls work well.

Last night i decided to try the latest 169.21 beta drivers. So far they are doing fine, and might even be an improvement over the ones Nvidia has for my card. As is per Nvidia, these drivers ofor your high end cards will work for ones like mine also, or so i hope down the road. Haven't played the game yet with these. I will tonight.

Yeah, overall its still a fun game. i like the way the weapons act and all that.
    Will someone create vehicles that look and act right.. please. Whats the point of having vehicles if you can't do much in the game with them. more fun to walk and hide and sneak about really.
    I'm at the point now where he got to the guy with the monster and then did whatever, and the place froze up... leaving for next chapter... LOL

I like the game, though I play it at lower res (for frame rate). It was too short, IMO (with the excellent editor I don't see why they couldn't have made some optional side quests/missions at little/no cost to keep both the long game and short game fans happy). I expect some good mods to come out of the community..
    I like the way the environment works (you can destroy somethings that stay destroyed in the cut scenes) though the destructibility of some objects needs some tweaking IMO.
    I thought the vegetation in Farcry was a bit sparse in many places (Just picking a nit)but will probably do a replay when I get tired of Crysis. I don't remember now if the vegetation responds when you walk through it in Farcry(I don't think it does).

Other than steering how do you want the vehicles to act? They accelerate, get high centered (explode too easily, knock down trees too easily), run slower with damage, can be tipped over and get stuck (at least the trucks). If you hammer the brakes at speed the trucks even slide a bit. Normally I like to walk, in game, but after a couple to times through an area I will ride (also you can approach areas at high speed and bail out of the truck/hummers to let them do flaming (sometimes) destruction to vehicle/buildings/NKs etc).

I actually kind of like the trucks/hummers (except for the steer by button thing) and have been debating doing a semi realistic four wheeling/off roading mod with these. Their off road capabilities are the most realistic of any game that I have played yet (but I need to figure out how to use a steering wheel to control them). (I run a Jeep CJ-7 off road on moderate to hard trails).

Oh yeah! the ragdoll blood mod (google it) helps a little bit in terms of reaction to bullet hits. Not a great difference but an improvement.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Happy Joe; 12-21-2007 at 01:20 PM.
    Got me one o' them 'puter thangs!

i too found the game to be a bit short, but mainly because the last boss took a decent chunk out of my free time and i wanted to shoot something else.

i found the performance to be a lot less than i expected on my rig (2.8ghz, 2gb ddr2 sdram, x1950pro) with it running on high resolution with 3 settings on medium and the rest on low.

i agree that vehicles aren't as fun as sneaking around on foot and picking off clueless Koreans, but thats just me.

out of interest did anyone manage to pilot a helicopter in single player? if so what was it like, in terms of realism and such

yeah.. thats what i'm talken about..i wants to pilot that thing too, so i can shoot the stuffing out of those crazies.

Still seems like the graphics fade a bit the further you get into the game. Also, for some reason i don't feel like I do in other games...like "I GOT TO" go play some more or?

Definitely worth having and playing just the same. Sneaking is what i like best. Most strategy games i just love so i tend to play that way, versus run and gun. I do plenty of that anyways in close combat battles.

Ultimate Member
    I don't think Crysis lived up to any if the hype. Sure, the eye candy is good bit it isn't THAT good, certainly not good enough to justify it's massive requirements. The gameplay is a bit repetitive and gets boring after a while. I personally think CoD 4 is a MUCH better game, and I personally prefer the graphics in CoD 4 over Crysis as well.

And RR, it's OK to have your own opinion. You don't have to change your mind about the game just because the replies you get don't share your enthusiasm.

Repetitive is the word alright.. I keep thinking this is going to get better,but the storyline is a bit flaky and unclear.. Alot of the graphics are just average at best. Seen better all over. How come whenever they make things hat use power,such as your strength or shield, the battery last about five secs. Thats not enough time to do much damage. Should have that last twice as long as it does IMO

The enemy seems to just pop out of nowheres too. Wonder where their all hiding or coming from half the time.

Was looking at FareCry lst night to compare, and those graphics wer far better and more livid.

I'm pretty critical about things as alot are..,but I agree for the hype, this game does seem to fall short. So far just killing alot of orientals, and blowing some things up along the way.... creating as much havok as i can LOL

Havok... That's what I love about this game. You have 4 different modes that you can switch between, and you can drive the AI nuts! My favorite is to just find a rock, cloak, look down the scope, clip off a Korean, then duck back down, recharge, and do it all again... If they get to close, cloak, and find another spot... It's just so **** fun!!!
    Core 2 Duo E6600 | eVGA 680i SLI | eVGA 8800 GTX | Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum | Corsair XMS2 2GB PC2-6400 800mhz @ 4-4-4-12 | Western Digital 500GB Caviar HDD | OCZ GameXStream 700-watt PSU | 24" Acer X241W LCD

Oh yes..the ole cloak and sniper routine. I've done that along the way.The AI is actually the better part of the game. At least they ove around and follow you. Even try and flank,which is cool.

I be this is one of those games that one has to play twice to enjoy thoroughly.

Just picked up COD 4 and playing that right now also.

Ultimate Member
    While I don't think Crysis graphics are good enough to justify it's system requirements, they are far better than Fary Cry's graphics. Far Cry had more vivid colors, but vivid colors doesn't equal better. Crysis has much better textures and for more realistic foliage.

i think it would have been cool if about a quarter to half way through the game you got a suit upgrade and your energy lasted longer.

as for the visuals, i thought i'd try and run it on high, just to see what it was like and i was amazed. the level of detail and mainly the lighting and water i thought were superb. (although the framerate would've been somewhere in the teens)

has anyone seen the video of i think its 3000 red barrels falling down, then the guy exploded them, he couldn't look into the explosion for more tha 2 secs without his computer crashing

LOL.. I 'm at around the Paridise Lost level, and to be honest, this game is starting toannoy me. its like just when it becomes good or one gets accustomed to having fun and moving right along, these darn game makers ( and i cannot use the language here i want lol ), always seem to think that more is better, or that replaying a level just because its desinged like someone on drugs, and wwee have no beter time to spend then to replay replay.. I mean, just don't get it. Is that someones idea of good gameplay. Not me!

The previous level while one of the most interesting and visually and artisticly stunning levels i have ever played, it also made me feel like exiting the game. I thought i was never going ot find a way out, and besides, i was getting a tad bit sick and dizzy. Please!, do not play this game if you've got a light stomach or am feeling the flu coming on. LOL The level i'm at now is cool ( had to thrwo that in ), but this is also a good example of something that does not quite work right.

I got to almost the last fire and bridge crossing, and my comrade would not move fast enough or he would stop and shoot and complain about freezing. Just when i get him to the point i want, i either die or he dies,or.., you said it; Another wave of baddies.. Every game seems to follow the same formula. Please.. game makers.., it OK to be different in a good sort of way...

Overall, its still a good game. visuals, whether high FPS or not look gorgeous in most parts. I have this high end machine, and mid ange video card, and the game sets me at 'Low" settings. that means not one of the good ''advanced' settings can i play at, unless i want the game to crawl or play at about 5-10FPS. Some reviewers were correct in that it needs a patch to optimize and let lower end cards play better. Even high end cards and machines cannot play this game all out at very high FPS. So they lied.. What else is new.

Sounds like i'm not having much fun with this huh? On the crontrary, I do like this game and have fun MOSTLY. At medium settings its very playable with my system.
    The graphics and game design are worth the money spent overall.

Brodie, I had my games crash when too much is going on. it happens. Not very often at all. Maybe once so far did thsi game crash and i think it was not the game, but my system or background app.
    That analogy or video you mentioned is a good example of to much processing, and rendering then the VC can tolerate. makes perfect sense. LOL

February i think i'm getting a new video card, and selling this one to a friend.