Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cameras, clarity, awesomeness?

Cameras, clarity, awesomeness?

Well, I seem to have bad luck with cameras. I had a Canon PowerShot A520 (4mp) and I was never satisfied with the pictures because they never seemed clear. So I then went out and bought a Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi, with the intention of learning how, and being able to take awesome pictures. However... while messing around, reading the book and all, playing with settings, or even just using automatic mode, my pictures don't seem to look any better than my 4mp powershot. They just aren't clear. So, do I have bad luck with cameras, am I just a noob, or are cameras just not clear? Can anybody give me any tips to maybe why my pics look blurry?
    7 7 7 Trinity <><

ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 Mobo
    AMD Phenom II 955 Black Edition
    XFX ATi Radeon 5850 XXX Edition
    2x2gb A-DATA PC3 12800
    500GB WD5000AAKS SATA2 HD
    80GB WD SATA HD

That Rebel XTi should be taking great pics. Are you talking about prints or viewing images on your monitor?
    How about a Fresca?

Well if it is hand held this could be the reason. If so it may be related to camera shake. Place the camera on a table, look through the viewfinder and see if you get a sharp picture. The table will act like a tripod then.

Go here and update the firmware for your camera also.

http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosdigit...irmware-e.html

You must update the firmware with a CF card no greater than 2GB.

Press the shutter mid-way so you get auto-focus too - it will beep when it has a fixed auto-focus (AF). This may be the reason why your pics are out of focus.

Your camera should be creating fantastic pics. So something is wrong. How are you viewing them. On the Camera LCD, on the comp etc.

Also use fine JPG or RAW.
    Last edited by G; 12-11-2007 at 12:46 PM.

Yeah see, thing is I didn't think I could be THAT much of a noob. I've always made sure to let it focus halfway first, wait for the beep and the light, etc. (and I've always yelled at people who skip the "button half-way" step )

I'll try the FW update, and I'll try the table idea too, since my lense is not an IS lense maybe that's why.

I'm using L smooth. Referring to either the LCD, or monitor, if I zoom in any while viewing from the LCD, they look blurry, and at first I thought, well the LCD res is a heck of alot lower than the pic. Then I offloaded some to my PC and view them at 100%, and sure enough looks like the LCD representation was rather accurate in that there isn't alot of depth/clarity. Edges almost look slightly "bloomed" as some games might look.
    7 7 7 Trinity <><

2x2gb A-DATA PC3 12800
    80GB WD SATA HD

Do you wear glasses? Do the pics look blurry to other people?
    "Vegetarians live up to nine years longer than the rest of us...Nine horrible, worthless, baconless years."

Yeah I was going to mention that too Steve.

Straight out of the box, firmware update or not, you should be able to create some great snaps. Only when you get more proficient do you need to use the P or M Mode etc.

If you have played about with any settings, clear them using the menu option and go back to default.

Odd that you have had this problem with a point and shoot and now this quality camera too.

As Steve has said, see what someone with 20-20 vision or at least who wears eye-glasses says about the picts.

You may need a visit to the opticians otherwise.
    Last edited by G; 12-11-2007 at 02:11 PM.

I do wear glasses, but I am certain it's not my eyes, as I appear to see other things just fine. When I get home from work I'll upload a shot that was taken in auto, to photobucket and link it here so you guys can be the judge.

You may even rule that I'm just being picky, which I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case... but how some of the pics come out just... seem like it's not all me being picky.
    7 7 7 Trinity <><

2x2gb A-DATA PC3 12800
    80GB WD SATA HD

Can you post some comparison images between the XTi and your point and shoot? You don't need to post the full thing, just 100% crops of certain areas would be good.

hey what a coincidence, i'm the market for a new camera, and was pondering about this one
    http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/c...g=srs&page=psa

what do you guys think?

I'll be interested to hear any suggestion for other models.

The main thing i'm looking for is a Flip Out and Swivel LCD, and good shots at night time.

I read the review for the 640 and it's not quite good for night shots

any one know of a good camera with what i'm looking for?
    i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5

Look on the side of the camera somewhere for a slide button that selects distance (usually a horizon graphic) or closeup (flower graphic) setting. I can't begin to tell you how many pictures I've taken make me feel like Mr. Magoo, just because I have taken a distance pic in the closeup mode or vice-versa.

If you have that button, its setting usually overrides any software setting adjustments you can make using the viewscreen and control buttons.
    Thank God we're not getting all of the government we're paying for!

AllGamer, you definitely want a compact - yes.

What's you maximum budget then?

Check this out:
    http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/CanonA640/
    Last edited by G; 12-11-2007 at 06:43 PM.

I've already decided for the A650 the newest of the line, and just an improved version of the A640

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0708/07...nona650720.asp

Last edited by AllGamer; 12-12-2007 at 03:25 PM.
    i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5

Last week I bought a Canon XTi. My previous camera was a Canon Powershot A-80. That is a great little P&S, and I plan to keep it as a carry around camera.

When I started playing with my XTi, I had quite a few unsatisfactory pics, but I am sure it is operator error, as i do not know what I am doing yet. I was told to read through the manual, play with settings I did not understand, and then repeat. The XTi is capable of taking better pics than someone with my experience can fully understand.

I played with mine some more on M mode. Set it to landscape type too. Got some nicer pics. I agree that it's probably user error as there are soo many buttons and clickerwheels and flip thingies. lol. I don't know exactly what I'm doing yet either, but I'm learning and it's slowly kind of working out.
    7 7 7 Trinity <><

2x2gb A-DATA PC3 12800
    80GB WD SATA HD

Try some tips here:

http://digital-photography-school.com/blog/

Also look into the Magic Lantern series of books. They are published for specific models of cameras and help greatly to improve your understanding of how the controls work and what they do and when to use specific features and functions.