Thread: IT industry is now boring?

IT industry is now boring?

Hi guys/gals (do we have any gals left?)

it's been a while, the last few months has been sooooooo busy with the Xmas frenzy, finally this week things are chilling out a bit.

anyways i was thinking...

Have you guys noticed there hasn't been much really "NEW News" in the IT industry, everything seems to have plato, nothing really new in the CPU / GPU area since Duo Cores took the lead, and ATI went under

There are no more incentive for Intel to push new things, same goes for nVidia.

AMD is off the top 10 list, and there is nothing really promising in the horizon, even with their "hope"ful candidate chip road map.

Software wise, Vista still remain lame after a whole year+ waiting for that SP1 that took us really no where, was more like a snail that moved 100mm from starting point... (yay! for Vista... it's <fill the blanks> !!!) instead XP SP3 hit record breaking performance over previous versions, needless to say it beat the **** out of Vista.

so in this Stagnant IT industry... there hasn't been much action in the last couple of years, as we've seen in the past, when everything was Bang! bang! bang!, and big houses kept pushing out new stuff every 3 month / 6 month cycle.

i miss those exiting times in the IT World.
    i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5

I think a lot of development resources are being siphoned off by the mobile industry as mobile devices are outselling desktop PCs 20 to 1 now.

yup that is the trend now, which is kinda late

Palm Treo has long coined that market, along with other few Windoze version of PDAs/phones.

now everything from Sony to Ericsson is trying to compete with Iphone, which is just copying the same stuff that PDA Smartphones have been offering since forever.
    i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5

XP SP3? When'd this happen? I'm on the verge of taking a course in linux, but I didn't know the softies were still making Win xp.

What excitement are we talking about though? I was relieved when people (in general) let up on cheering for AMD/intel like it was a matter of honor. As long as it works, I'll take unexciting hardware any day. (I still won't use a Mac though )

-GM

AMD said the other day that it was no longer necessary to have the fastest chip. I wish I could find that article. Does that not sound like the beginning of a pathetic story?

Quote Originally Posted by GrefMofovich
    XP SP3? When'd this happen? I'm on the verge of taking a course in linux, but I didn't know the softies were still making Win xp.

What excitement are we talking about though? I was relieved when people (in general) let up on cheering for AMD/intel like it was a matter of honor. As long as it works, I'll take unexciting hardware any day. (I still won't use a Mac though )

-GM
    oh common MAC has come a loooooooong way from 1980s
    now it's as good as any machine, just not as fast.
    all Graphic industry and Advertising still chooses MAC over PC

even though, they don't realize that MACs are slowly becoming PC.... if you followed the recent news and hardware releases of MACs you'll know what i mean

and it's all thanks to OS X, which is in truth a very expensive customized version of Linux, that's how they manage to be able to support both Apple-MAC and PC-MAC under the same OS, and run the same software.

very clever if you ask me

Quote Originally Posted by Ol'Tunzafun
    AMD said the other day that it was no longer necessary to have the fastest chip. I wish I could find that article. Does that not sound like the beginning of a pathetic story?
    i'm not impressed at all with their new Quad CPUs
    even the older Intel Quad does better... sight....

i miss the days of the Intel vs AMD battles

each one releases more and more powerful CPU at each round.

so basically now AMD is throwing the tower.

and that believe it or not, is a BAD thing for us the consumers, it means we'll not be seeing any new development of new CPU architecture and hardware for a long long time, compared to before.

That means self aware AI, and cyborgs will be a long long way to come.

If they kept at making better CPUs at their old cycles 3mth / 6mth / 9mth it would have taken a shorter time to reach that distant future.

Quote Originally Posted by AllGamer
    i miss the days of the Intel vs AMD battles
    So do I.. Ahh, The good ol' days :P

I remember arguing the differences with the K6 2 with 3DNow! VS Pentium MMX's and such. Good times!

Quote Originally Posted by AllGamer
    oh common MAC has come a loooooooong way from 1980s
    now it's as good as any machine, just not as fast.
    all Graphic industry and Advertising still chooses MAC over PC

even though, they don't realize that MACs are slowly becoming PC.... if you followed the recent news and hardware releases of MACs you'll know what i mean

and it's all thanks to OS X, which is in truth a very expensive customized version of Linux, that's how they manage to be able to support both Apple-MAC and PC-MAC under the same OS, and run the same software.

very clever if you ask me
    I really don't have too much of an arguement for it but I really never liked MAC's. Other than their video editing capabilities I've seen as Mac OSX evolved over the years, they really aren't anything special. The company can brag about it being "simpilier" (which I think the more "convienient" programmers at Microsoft, Apple, and any Linux distrobution turn operating systems into a more complex and sometimes annoying experience to deal with), but MAC is still further back in terms of gaming, and their iMacs will never get as popular as their portable things. I'm sure as Apple continues to compete with Windows, both operating systems produced by them will become more complex and become bigger resource hogs.

I haven't really looked much into this area, but there is always hope for arguements in the 64-bit programming area once (and hopefully) more games and other applications are made for such operating systems, as well as hardware drivers.
    MSI 870S-G46 | AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.8ghz | Gigabyte Radeon 7870 Ghz Edition | 1 x 128GB Kingston HyperX SSD | 2 x WD 500GB Blue HDD | Arch Linux x64 | BFG Tech LS SERIES LS-550 550W | 2 x 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM, 2 x 2GB DDR3 1600 RAM (12 GB)

Quote Originally Posted by rockinup1231
    I really don't have too much of an arguement for it but I really never liked MAC's. Other than their video editing capabilities I've seen as Mac OSX evolved over the years, they really aren't anything special. The company can brag about it being "simpilier" (which I think the more "convienient" programmers at Microsoft, Apple, and any Linux distrobution turn operating systems into a more complex and sometimes annoying experience to deal with), but MAC is still further back in terms of gaming, and their iMacs will never get as popular as their portable things. I'm sure as Apple continues to compete with Windows, both operating systems produced by them will become more complex and become bigger resource hogs.

I haven't really looked much into this area, but there is always hope for arguements in the 64-bit programming area once (and hopefully) more games and other applications are made for such operating systems, as well as hardware drivers.

Vista has me so frustrated that I'm SERIOUSLY looking at an Imac.....

I used Vista too. It's not really that it's that much more complicated, but it's extra security features to "idiot-proof" the system are really annoying. Not to mention the little box that sometimes says Vista is solving the problem, makes you sit for a few minutes, then tells you it couldn't do anything is annoying too.

'Guess if you really are dieing for DirectX 10 you'd use Vista, or just stick with XP (since DX10 would be something only gamers would care about, and I couldn't think of throwing OSX into a gaming catagory) if you use older games.

I'm no hardcore fan of Windows but I use a mix of it with Ubuntu. If I get bored with one I always have the other to mess around with. lol
    MSI 870S-G46 | AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.8ghz | Gigabyte Radeon 7870 Ghz Edition | 1 x 128GB Kingston HyperX SSD | 2 x WD 500GB Blue HDD | Arch Linux x64 | BFG Tech LS SERIES LS-550 550W | 2 x 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM, 2 x 2GB DDR3 1600 RAM (12 GB)