Thread: Network Logon interface

Network Logon interface

Just wondering is there any interface or programme that would identify what PC's are logged onto a wireless network. What I was thinking in terms of is a taskbar icon or desktop app. that would show what PC's are logged on to a wireless router at any given time.

Michael

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Every wireless router that I know of has that feature built in to the web interface.

Use a web browser and log in to the router admin account.

I am aware of this but I was thinking more along the lines of a separate app. that monitors who logs on, who's online who logs off in realtime.

This information needs to come from the Router.

Entry Level Routers vary in interface and the information that they provide, so there is No one universal way and you would have to write you own program to extract what ever info you Router gives.

Air snare (mentioned above by Midknyte) in combination with Ethereal can provide certain level of protection. It is Not a simple affair to use it howver if you up to it why Not.

I never used this program, might be that it can be part of a solution for your issues as well, http://www.passmark.com/products/wirelessmonitor.htm
    cat6
    MS - MVP, Networking.

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Sounds like you need to repalace the router with a mid level Cisco that can already has utilities for monotoring.

Who Is Connected? - a small freeware app
    "allows you to monitor and manage your local area network connections. It shows you which users are currently connected, and allows you to view details about what files/folders are used, connection time and more. In addition, you can choose to terminate any connection, choose to be notified on new connections, send a message to the user and also view a list of open IP ports, as well as the program associated with them. The program runs in the system tray and provides a convenient interface."

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/whoisconnected.html

Thanks for your replies. I tried the Airsnare package. It really isn't what I was looking for and is a bit too complex for me. Wireless monitor also was not wwhat I need. Whoisconnected appears to show who is connected via a network to your PC. This is a handy tool however what I am looking for is something that monitors who is connected to a network/workgroup at any given time.

Thanks again.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by michaeln
    Whoisconnected appears to show who is connected via a network to your PC. This is a handy tool however what I am looking for is something that monitors who is connected to a network/workgroup at any given time.
    Hmm... I went to Snapfiles looking for an app that I once used for that purpose and couldn't find it, but I found that one and thought that it did the same thing, but it obviously doesn't.
    The one I was looking for, whose name I now recall, was Netscan.exe.
    http://www.softperfect.com/products/networkscanner/
    It appears to work by pinging the whole subnet, thus temporarily enabling detection with arp. If you've ever tried to write a batch file to do just that, you'll really appreciate this little gem.

Yap, Softperfect’s NetScan is one of the best Network related utility.
    When running pull down the View and choose enable Live Update. Otherwise, it is not constantly scanning.

However, Net Scan would Not Notify you would have to check it often to see the status of the Network.

If constant monitoring is, so important you can resize it to a small window and use a utility that would make it always on top of everything.
    cat6
    MS - MVP, Networking.