Thread: External Hard Drive issues

External Hard Drive issues

My roomate is using 1 TB Hitatchi external hard drives. He got his first one, and it wouldn't format, so he returned it and got another. He couldn't get it to do a full format either, but it did a quick format fine. Got a second one, and same thing wouldn't do a full format. When trying to do a full format, or run scan disk on the drives, they will spin down, and dissapear from my computer. If left alone for a while, they will spin down and dissapear anyway. 3 drives, all doing the same thing.

I tried connection one of the drives to my laptop, and format it, and it did the same thing. This is happing in Windows XP pro, as well as in 64 bit Vista. The power settings are configured to not turn off the drives. We tried disabling legacy USB support with no help. We tried safe mode as well, and they still do it.

The drives have external power, they are not powered through USB. We are pretty much at witts end. Are all 3 drives bad for exactly the same thing? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Sounds like time to try a different external hard drive vendor/manufacturer.

You get what you pay for. Cheap low end is low end for a reason. High end costs more for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Sterling_Aug
    Sounds like time to try a different external hard drive vendor/manufacturer.

You get what you pay for. Cheap low end is low end for a reason. High end costs more for a reason.
    I wouldn't call a $350 external drive cheap It's the Hitatchi H31000U. It was one of the best rated external drives which is why he bought them.

Since you didn't supply a model number in your first post, then I stand corrected. That drive is not cheap and I would never pay that much for a model that has multiple issues reported by both your room mate and other users who have posted on the internet. Sounds like there are problems with the controller interface.

You could make you own external 1TB USB drive for the same cost or less.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Take it out of the case, jumper it in and then see if you can format it.

Seen lots of bad enclosures and I believe that is the problem.

Unfortunatly taking the drive out isn't a possibility. It would void the waranty. It's one that comes in a sealed encslosure. Is it rellly possible all 3 drives/ecnlosures are bad?

Yes, it could be a poorly designed controller but I think you may be just doing something wrong.

Have you read the user manual from the website yet? Line for line?