Thread: Devastated...

Devastated...

I'm already past the point of getting annoyed. Right now I'm devastated..

I've been having problems with COX all month. I decided to call them for the 5th time yesterday and they tried to blame it on my AVG and ADAware saying they take up a lot hard drive resource... Who are they kidding? I have 27.3 GB of 34.4GB left on my 10k Raptor.. I have 2GB RAM.. Then they blamed it on my Router.. I've used WRT54G router wireless and wired. I've tried my DI-604 wired. All with same result.

They said they cant help with my routers and that my Modem is running fine. RPL 1.0dBmv TPL 35.3 dBmv.

I've done my first fresh install in 9 months using Ghost. (Very unusual for me. I normally do it like every 2 months.) But that didn't help any. I've scanned for virus/spyware. I've defragged my hard drive. I'm not running any P2P program.

My problem is I'm experiencing a lot delays when browsing or playing online. It would take few seconds for the browser to response to my request to load a new page. And when playing online game it would stutter every few seconds. And frequently my character would freeze then shortly afterward it would "teleport" ahead and often find myself dead in an FPS game.

I dont really know where this problem lies.. but it's driving me insane and will apperciate some help.
    ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 | Athlon 64 3000+ @280x9 1.45v | Sapphire Radeon x850xt PE @ 600/600*2 | 2x1GB Gskill PC3200 Dual Channel | WD 36GB Raptor | WD Caviar 250GB SE16 | Sound Blaster Live! 5.1

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Tracert the online game site and check the times listed.

High times probably equal a high usage/busy internet and will cause that jumping around.

Have you used msconfig to stop programs from not starting automatically and free up resources?

Remember, how busy the switch , router and servers are between you and the final sever plus the demands on that final server all effect the outcome on our end.

Then we need to add in what is slowing our computer down from optimum.
    The answer for our computer slow down could be as simple as Norton's or McAfee junk.

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    What anti-spyware or anti-virus software did you use?

I would try Hijack This!, Spybot S&D, and Adware Away (no NOT Adaware which is worthless).

Bear in mind, if you have two A/Vs installed at the same time it will slow your machine down to a crawl. Go to Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs and make sure you only have one showing as installed. If you still have files/folders left over from an uninstall (Norton is famous for this) delete those folders as well. Otherwise, your active AV is constantly detecting old quarantined malware.

I run into this a lot; typically this happens when an owner suspects malware and installs a second A/V, on the premise that if one is good two must be more effective. 'T'ain't so.
    Thank God we're not getting all of the government we're paying for!

Have tested the pc's by connecting directly to the cable modem to see if the problem persists ? If the problem goes away , then the issue lies within your network .

Turns out it's a bigger problem... It's my computer itself. I tested my older computer and it ran the games fine No stuttering or delayed response.

I played single player game with same result stuttering and delay response. I realized that I've had this problem before. I've asked about it in here but was told to run Spybot, Adaware, AVG. Back then it did find a spybot and some how it worked fine afterward. I doubt it was caused by that one spyware. It's something else.

I'm constantly trying everything I can think of but no anvil. I've checked all computer connection and everything is secured. All drivers, firmware, and software are up to date.

I really would like to know what exactly is causing it so I can fix it and the next time it happen I'll know what wrong. Right now I'm clueless.
    ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 | Athlon 64 3000+ @280x9 1.45v | Sapphire Radeon x850xt PE @ 600/600*2 | 2x1GB Gskill PC3200 Dual Channel | WD 36GB Raptor | WD Caviar 250GB SE16 | Sound Blaster Live! 5.1

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Run sfc /scannow and see if it replaces the bad stuff in Windows.

How hot is that cpu? Seen where things can get messed up if the temp gets to high.
    Have you checked in device manager, for yellow splats with ! or ? marks.

Lastly, do a clean install , much as I hate to recommend it. Now if you are like me and have a few extra hdds around.

But this will not work if the IDE controller is going out like I had to have happen.

it aint an issue with your computer I'd almost bet on it from you've previously posted

from your previous post:

For the Internet Frequency, their highest Carrier (Freq) and lowest carrier
    Downstream levels (off their meter) +5 to -10dBmV
    Upstream levels (off their meter) >36dB <52dB
    SNR of the Internet Signal (off their meter) >32dB
    What QAM they use for their Internet Signal 64 or 256
    Symbol Rate Down and Upstream (off their meter)
    MBR of the Internet Freq (off their meter) >32dB
    BER of the Internet Frew (off their meter) <1.0E-09
    Pings of their DNS (off their meter) or their specific site
    Pings to qwest.com (off their meter)
    If they can NOT provide this info to you, ask for their supervisor as these are standard testing procedures, that Comcrap preforms

take a look at what I mentioned there, if you can give me the info I could really narrow down the issue for you.
    -Don't Present me with a Problem, Present me with a Possible Solution-

Just a gamble. But how is your comps PSU? Many of you might remember the issue I had with my dad's PC. His PSU was dying, causing the router, that was near his computer (near, it didn't HAVE to be plugged into his computer to do this), to lose DSL link, to give me high ping in games (and I was wirelessly connected to the router from another room) and constantly take a long time between random page changes.
    7 7 7 Trinity <><

ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 Mobo
    AMD Phenom II 955 Black Edition
    XFX ATi Radeon 5850 XXX Edition
    2x2gb A-DATA PC3 12800
    500GB WD5000AAKS SATA2 HD
    80GB WD SATA HD

I was too quick to judge that my other computer wasn't stuttering.. It did stutter after playing for few minutes it began doing that.

I've ran sfc /scannow but made no difference.
    CPU and GPU running wasn't overheating.
    I did restore my window XP back to the point where no other software was installed with GHOST Then patch and update everything. Made no difference
    Got fed up and despreste enough to format the HD and did a fresh instal... Did't make a diffrence.
    Tried older ATI driver and CC software.. no difference here.

Intresting RockNRoll but nope my Router and Modem are about 25 feet away from my computer.

Gave up and called COX then demanded somebody to come over.. Once again they wasn't as useful as I hoped. All they would post was my RPL and TPL... I can find that out for myself.. What about the rest of the info.. wouldn't tell me... He just kept saying theres 20 people offline on the street where I live. Surely enough theres multiple COX Van/truck parked outside. Not an uncommon sight lately. I'm 100% positive they aren't there to help install cable... They are there to "try" fix the problem. Obviously they failed because they been coming to my street almost everyday. They would't list all the info that Nightblade was asking for.. Supervisor was being an prick about how busy he was and wouldn't bother telling me the info.

This poop is way too old for me to keep doing business with COX. I don't recall Verizon truck/van ever being on my street... perhaps that because nobody having problem! F it... once I get my check I'm calling them up.

I'd say you've got nothing to lose by dumping COX, except maybe some major headaches.
    7 7 7 Trinity <><

ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 Mobo
    AMD Phenom II 955 Black Edition
    XFX ATi Radeon 5850 XXX Edition
    2x2gb A-DATA PC3 12800
    500GB WD5000AAKS SATA2 HD
    80GB WD SATA HD

then the issue is in their cable, only reason why the will not give you those numbers, cuz it will be proof that there is an issue in their plant that they haven't addressed properly and the supervisor doesnt want the issue documented as he might have to spend some money from his budget to replace or rehab the plant

probably a bad section of cable or a bad transmitter at the node both of which cost money and the first is can get really expensive quickly

I would call in everyday and b*tch to COX asking for credits and keep rolling trucks out there then eventually enough tickets will be generated in that node and section that some bean counter will notice

call back in right after the tech leaves and say hey the tech was just here and it still inst working, or how many times do I have to call, start asking for supervisors write down the name of everyone you talk to, write down the dates and times the techs come out start jotting down the repair ticket numbers

its what I m forced to do with MediaCrap and Craptaclur internet service Im getting from them, about the same problem as you, but my connection is steady just my upstream is trash usually only averaging 8-10 kB/s uploads, of course the MediaCrap tech's say there is no issue, because they do not have the meter I do, so each time I show them the results of my meter, and they just look dumbfounded

but call in everyday, eventually the tech's will b*tch at their boss, cuz they'll be getting nailed with repeats

Im wasting about 30 mins a day calling into MediaCrap, and another 20-30 mins once the tech shows up, showing them whats wrong, in my case its a bad section of cable that was cut when i moved in 3 yrs ago by my neighbor when he planted a new tree, the problem is that the splice gets wet, because they never properly sealed the splice, but over course the maintenance tech (the ones that splice and repair the main lines) is totally convinced I dont know what I am talking about and he doesnt trust my meter because he has never seen one

hell he doesnt even know what half of those values I asked you to get mean, hence why he doesnt see the problem, prolly why COX doesnt see or admit that they have a problem with your connection

last thought, even if your modem has good upstream and downstrem power levels does NOT in any way show that you have an internet connection

Maybe you need to knock on your neighbors doors and find out for sure they are having the same issues , then call your local news consumer investigative desk and report the problem your neighborhood is having . The media usually can get them off them off their duff when reporting such issues over the air or local newspaper .

thats a good idea, as i know none of my neighbors have mediacrap as the prices suck, but on a good side note

Verizon is finally runing fiber into the Central Office which is less than a mile from my house, and after talking to them its for DSL, so at least in a little bit i will not have to suffer Mediacraps bs