Thread: OO-defrag crashes after "netsh winsock reset" command.

OO-defrag crashes after "netsh winsock reset" command.

I bought a laptop (Acer TravelMate 5520G-402G16) a couple of weeks ago and everything was fine till one hour ago. I had a friend over to transfer some files to her laptop, so we connected directly laptop to laptop with a network cable and still everything was fine. Then I shut down my laptop and when I turned it back on I had no internet connection and every program trying to connect to internet was crashing. I had the same problem a few months ago with my stationary and solved it with netsh winsock reset command but like it says in the title, that command makes O&O-defrag crash with a 10014 error. I have checked up that number (not specific for O&O defrag) and it seems to be a winsock problem. I mailed O&O-software about the issue and I was told they would get back to me with an answer, but after 2 or 3 months I still have no answer.

PS
    I'm running Vista Ultimate x64 and O&O-defrag x64 v10.0.1634.
    For internet connection on the laptop I use a Netgear WGR614 v6 router and Broadcom (don't know which model) wireless card. For the stationary it's just a direct broadband connection no modems, routers or switches.

Have you scanned for bugs? Connecting to another PC via Ethernet would allow worms and such to infest your PC.

Have you tried using System Restore? You need to use that right away, you know. Waiting 3 months kinda negates using it.

Scan with trial versions of Counterspy, Spyware Doctor and NOD32. These are fully functional versions for a limited time.

In the future, remember to use System Restore right away. You should also be using an imaging application to back up regularly. As a matter of fact, Vista Ultimate has Complete PC Backup:

http://www.zdnet.com.au/insight/soft...9272295,00.htm

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...torial145.html

You should make use of it weekly so that these things aren't fatal. Also keep in mind that Vista is a work in progress and there's no telling where this problem is originating. A Windows Update file may have started it.
    MS MCP, MCSE