Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 7.10 to be released tomorrow

Ubuntu 7.10 to be released tomorrow

Tomorrow's release of Gutsy Gibbon brings some welcome new features like:

Read and write access to NTFS partitions (automatically detected and mounted)
    Support for multiple monitors
    Compiz Fusion graphics enabled by default
    Printer one step setup "If it works on a Mac, it will work on Ubuntu"
    Native support for WPA-protected wifi networks.

This is bordering on being cool.

http://www.ubuntu.com/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Yeah, in a couple more decades they may be able to get it as easy to install and configure new programs as it is in Windows. Until then, it is still "not ready for prime time" in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Sterling_Aug
    Yeah, in a couple more decades they may be able to get it as easy to install and configure new programs as it is in Windows. Until then, it is still "not ready for prime time" in my opinion.
    That may be the case for you but works just fine for me.

I have been learning and using Feisty and Gutsy for a while now and also use Win XP Home. I like XP very much but as I learn Linux I am liking it even better.

I also posted this observation elsewhere once before.

Not including the download and burning time because that really depends on what time one starts and which mirrors ones downloading from, takes some time, but is still faster than the 3 days it takes to order a MS product from NewEgg.

I have done a full fresh install of Gutsy, which included formatting the drive, Setting up wireless network, installing the printer and being on the internet in under a half hour. Try doing that with Windows!

OBTW, the computer that this is set up on hasn't had a single crash even with the bata version and all hardware has worked out-of-the-box.

is it an Operating System?

Dell Inspiron 15, 7559 || Intel i7-6700HQ 2.6GHz || Windows 10 Home || 16GHz DDR || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M || WD 1TB 7200, N.2 SSD 500GB

I know it is easy to setup a fresh install of a basic Ubuntu, but that was not my point. I have been playing with Linux for over 8 years now and for the average user (PC novice) it is still a nightmare to install programs.

Linux (in general) is not easy to learn how to install additional programs not available on the OS install CD. The point is that it is a no brainer to install a program in Windows with an msi install or a self extracting exe file, but that is not the case for Linux.

You owe it to yourself to try PC BSD:

http://www.pcbsd.org/

It has all the power of Linux/BSD and actually uses installer packages for programs. Double-click and install...
    MS MCP, MCSE

"nightmare to install programs"

Compared to windows it's easy; you just search for the program you wanna install and tick the box! easier than windows!

Quote Originally Posted by richard_cocks
    Compared to windows it's easy; you just search for the program you wanna install and tick the box! easier than windows!
    I am NOT talking about programs that are on the install CD/DVD. I am talking about other programs.

I am NOT talking about programs that are on the install CD/DVD. I am talking about other programs.
    How about a few examples of what you are refering to then I'll try them.

You just don't get my point, do you?

A computer geek can install anything they want because they will search, read, and learn how to do it, but 99.999% of the rest of the world wants to sit down, click one button and things happen on their own. That doesn't happen in Linux and may take a few more decades until it does.

I totally agree with Sterling. I've been using Ubuntu for almost a year now and I'm still confused about installing some programs. Because the availible Java runtime enviroment that is on the Synaptic Package Manager is older, I wanted to get Sun's availible one off their site. However, it took me about two weeks to install and use successfully to find out what I was doing wrong each time.

Then there has always been the issue of gaming with linux. Although I have gotten some games such as Alice, Halo, and Hot Wheels Velocity X (for my brother) working, it's not just some "one click and watch" function, it requires a decent chunk of knowledge in using the terminal to debug some issues running windows games in wine, and also installing it. Then even when a game is installed, sometimes you can't even make save files because of permissions issues in the folders, which requires adjustment.

I feel that if all the user wishes to do is use the office applications and play cd's and youtube videos, then Ubuntu can work for that person. For someone that expects to do some form of gaming or other more advanced activity, then Windows is still (and may always be) the better.

Linux=Free and tuneable
    Windows=Mass Compatibility and ease

Note: I mixed Ubuntu and Linux together...since it's not just Ubuntu to which some of this applies.
    Last edited by rockinup1231; 10-19-2007 at 10:40 AM.
    MSI 870S-G46 | AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.8ghz | Gigabyte Radeon 7870 Ghz Edition | 1 x 128GB Kingston HyperX SSD | 2 x WD 500GB Blue HDD | Arch Linux x64 | BFG Tech LS SERIES LS-550 550W | 2 x 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM, 2 x 2GB DDR3 1600 RAM (12 GB)

Just so I don't get flamed here, Linux/Ubuntu is getting better all the time. The latest Ubuntu 7.10 is a very nice looking system and the package manager was easy to install the few programs so far that I have tried. They still have a long way to go to catch up with Windows.

You just don't get my point, do you?

A computer geek can install anything they want because they will search, read, and learn how to do it, but 99.999% of the rest of the world wants to sit down, click one button and things happen on their own. That doesn't happen in Linux and may take a few more decades until it does.
    Well then that is my point. For basic computing it just works and very easily. The packages and apps that come with most distros can cover most basic needs. No need to spend hrs. setting up a Windows system by 1st loading Windows and entering a product key. Then entering all the drivers for whatever hardware is installed and still hoping it works. Then setting up the network if one has one and the internet and mail connections. Then checking for updates on MS. Then installing all the antivirus and spyware apps. Then installing any other software apps with product keys.

I know this because I just did it on a new machine and it took over 4 hrs to get everything in it.

I don't think of myself as a computer geek. I still have trouble using Partition Magic, and Ghost forget it, it's hosed me every time. I still get new hardware that the drivers that are supplied do not work or the CD will not read correctly.
    Also my wife just received her laptop back from Acer for repairs. replaced hdd and MB. It took her over 2 hrs just to get the network reestablished, reset email and reload saved stuff. Now if this isn't enough then just look through here or any one of the other forums and see how many Geeks are having trouble getting things to work with Vista.

Then we have exactly the opposite experiences of each other.

I have Vista Ultinmate running perfectly on my new laptop. The only thing not supported is my several years old Canon USB scanner.

I can load and save Ghost images in my sleep. I used to create and maintain dozens of images for a client I used to work at.

I can load and update Windows in less time because I have learned that you can install several programs at the same time, thus saving tons of time.