Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: annoying popups on destop & browser

annoying popups on destop & browser

I'm getting those pop up boxes when you right click your mouse in your browser or desktop. I've right clicked my mouse when I've needed them. But I'm not right clicking anything and they are just bombarding me!

Any ideas before I go nuts. I've tried opening and closing my browser, restarting my pc, scanning for spyware and nothing. I'm currently using IE 6 right now. It seems like I have been having nothing but issues since I've repaired windows XP.

Any ideas

Thanks

Just a thought...have you gone to Tools>Pop-up Blocker in IE6 and made sure it is on. Check the Pop-up blocker settings while you are there.

Unwanted popups is always a symptom of adware . Two things come to mind after reviewing your post . Did you fully update XP after the repair ? The other is , you haven't scanned enough or properly.
    Run Windows Update manually , including upgrading to IE7 (recommended). When done , use the following tools scan and clean your pc in "Safe Mode" , see our AV/Spyware sticky for links,
    http://www.sysopt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=161595

Adware Away
    CounterSpy
    Superantispyware
    Edwido , now AVG's antispyware
    CCleaner , see Tech Tools , to clean your Temp files for anything bad

**Be sure to update each before scanning .

Keep rebooting in safe mode and scanning in all user accounts, if you have multiple accounts setup, until you are clean. It can take sometimes 3-4 tries to clean it . Afterwards , you can test IE and see if you get reinfected or not .

Yeah, the block pops is on. But it happen when my browser is closed as well. And it not sypware. I updated everything after I did the repair. I have Spybot, I ran that too. Still....?

I'll those a try, thanks Rocketmech.

I think I'll go back to Firefox too. I dont need those travel programs, if they only run on IE.

Hey I did what u suggested and nothing...no more browser pop ups! Thanks. I even downloaded Adware and it found stuff SpyBot didn't find. Thanks again. I'll download IE 7 as well. A few proprams will only work with IE. But I'll stay with Firefox as well. Thanks

Well maybe I spoke to soon.....aye I'm watching a tv program and looked over to my pc and that stupid box has popped up on my desktop screen. I went over and clicked my mouse to turn it off. It then comes back up.

So I closed it and right clicked it so it would come up. And then click it closed hoping that would do the trick. Nada.... This is really getting annoying....aye

Well back to the program......

Quote Originally Posted by Guille_Expat
    I'm getting those pop up boxes when you right click your mouse in your browser or desktop.
    It sounds like the context menu that is popping up. Try a different keyboard; the menu key may be sticking.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menu_key
    You might also try a different mouse.

Can we get a screen shot of the popup , please ?

It's not a traditional "popup". He's talking about the menu's that "pop up" when you right click your mouse (such as the one you'd use on your desktop to get to display properties). I don't think it would be the keyboard though, I held down the menu key on mine and it doesn't actually open the menu till you let go of the key, and if you hold the menu key and click somewhere on the screen it doesn't go away until you release the key.
    7 7 7 Trinity <><

ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 Mobo
    AMD Phenom II 955 Black Edition
    XFX ATi Radeon 5850 XXX Edition
    2x2gb A-DATA PC3 12800
    500GB WD5000AAKS SATA2 HD
    80GB WD SATA HD

If it's now just happening in his browser it could be flash-generated popups from underlined words/links. I can't remember what they're called but a screen shot of what he's getting would help determine what the source may be.

Antivirus/Antispy
    Ad-Aware and Spybot are NOT enough!! Get Counterspy or Spysweeper!!
    Get a GOOD antispyware program. run the trial versions of counterspy and/or spysweeper.

It's spyware. Run Counterspy.

Don't say you're sure of something if you're not.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Ultimate Member
    Try another mouse .. maybe the right click is sticking

Quote Originally Posted by RockNRoll
    I don't think it would be the keyboard though, I held down the menu key on mine and it doesn't actually open the menu till you let go of the key, and if you hold the menu key and click somewhere on the screen it doesn't go away until you release the key.
    That's a keen observation, and it follows that the problem cannot be a "stuck" key in the literal sense but rather, something like a voltage leak in the keyboard or mouse.
    If the pop-up is indeed a context menu, then the problem is hardware. Where is the adware revenue in popping up context menus?

http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/5...enu-keeps.html