Thread: Need Help w/ poor mobo performance

Need Help w/ poor mobo performance

A little over 2 years ago I purchased a PC barebones kit from Tiger Direct. The motherboard is an ASUS P4P800-X Socket 478 with an Intel Celeron 340 2.93GHz processor, 256kb cache, 533 FSB, 350w power supply and 512MB of RAM(PC3200 DDR 400MHz CL3). The operating system is Windows 2000 SP4.

Overall it runs fine, but it appears extremely slow for a nearly 3GHz processor. At first, I thought Symantec Internet Security was too blame so I uninstalled it and replaced it with AVG. That didn't seem to make much difference so I added another 512MB stick of RAM, but the PC is still slow. There's a hesitation when right-clicking on a file or icon to see its properties. File explorer is very slow and applications such as Outlook seem to take forever to open. I've checked the PC for spyware, viruses, and even defragged with little or no improvement.

The Event Viewer gives no indication of any issues and there have been no reported onscreen errors or BSD's. Fortunately, the PC is only used to check email and prepare a daily revenue report so it's not a big deal. However, this PC should rock and it's not.

Any ideas on what may be wrong?

Barry
    "There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path." - Morpheus

Some things to consider...
    Have you checked your processes for any unusual cpu usage ? Is there plenty of hard drive space ? Have you run any hdd diagnostics ? Do the caps on the mobo , psu and vga card look good ? Is the cpu seen as a 3G in the bios and Windows ? Are you Indexing ?