Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: annoying popups on destop & browser

Well , you can boot up without a mouse , that should eliminate 1 possibility . Or try that "slapping method "

RocknRoll was right, it's not the traditional pop up's. It's the little white box terrors of death I call now. When u right click. Here's a few examples.

One is:

Back
    Reload,
    Save Page, et.

The other box has:

Arrange Icons by
    Refresh
    Undo Delete, etc.

I tried using Ad-Aware2007, it tells me it found infections. But when I try to quarantine, or remove them. It doesn't let me. I think I'll download the trial version of Counterspy and see if it does the trick. Like some have you have said, if it works well. I'll buy it.

I know it isn't my mouse or keyboard. Never had this problem before till I repaired windows. I wonder now if maybe some of the travel airfare sites I was checking for overseas flights had something to with it?

Hardware?? And I thought this was going to be easy

Ultimate Member
    It will be good to know the final outcome if this was
    a spyware or virus or whatever ... if it is, it is something
    most of us have yet to encounter

I ran counterspy and it found no threats in any of my files. It did find the usual suspects, cookies. So I removed them. As of right now, the boxes are not popping up. Even when right clicking many times in my browser and on my desktop. So that's good.

But I don't want to comfortable, they might come back! It's happened before

I even did a diagnostics on both my system and memory. Everything was fine.

So well see?

Hope it all worked but Counterspy found nothing so maybe it was a temp internet file...either way you need to be running some sort of AV program and I didn't see any mention of one?

You still need to make sure you -

a.) have the best freeware AV, look at Avast, AVG 7.5 (still available if you look for it) BitDefender and Kaspersky - wouldn't recommend Norton - it's highly intrusive, very difficult to uninstall, and our offices got slammed 3 times in two years - completely shredded Norton so we moved on to another; link here

b.) make sure you run malware/spyware programs periodically - not just when you have a problem. Prevention is always the best cure.

Trendmicro's free online Housecall scanner (in safe mode with networking) is another I use on top of what we have here at home. Seems like each of these programs always seem to find something others miss. Hope your problem's solved but it's odd that this whole issue was the result of a bad cookie file?
    "hope to someday have a clever or inspirational quote....."
    ANON

Yeah I hope it was just a temp internet file. I use AVG and did complete scans each day for the past 3 days and nothing. Everything was fine. And I now have Counterspy on active protection as well.

Ultimate Member
    Link to most recent version of AVG Free:

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/download...virus/us/frt/0

Yup, thats the version I have with AVG. Been using AVG for years now. So far no problems right now.

Okay these things are back and like crrazy! I wonder if I should try a new keyboard and mouse to see! Running CounterSpy helps but not this issue. So it has to be something else.

I wonder if it is hardware? I'm using a wireless keyboard and mouse from Logitech. I'm think I'm going to dig out my usb keyboard and mouse to see if it does the same thing.

This is really crazy

Please tell us what it says on these popups.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Do you see any odd processes running?

Try using Process Explorer from Sysinternals

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...sExplorer.mspx

Also just wondering, are you firewalled? Even if you are try Tcpview and look for any established out of the ordinary connections.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...g/TcpView.mspx

might help you dig a little further.

Quote Originally Posted by RockNRoll
    It's not a traditional "popup". He's talking about the menu's that "pop up" when you right click your mouse (such as the one you'd use on your desktop to get to display properties). I don't think it would be the keyboard though, I held down the menu key on mine and it doesn't actually open the menu till you let go of the key, and if you hold the menu key and click somewhere on the screen it doesn't go away until you release the key.
    I thought I did on an earlier quote. Yeah it's the menu pop ups that come up when I right click the mouse. I'm getting them on IE & Firefox.

So I hope this helps?
    Last edited by Guille_Expat; 10-16-2007 at 03:51 PM.

I'm starting to wonder if it maybe my mouse and/or keyboard? I've had this Logitech wireless set for 3 1/2 years, I wonder if they are starting to go out???

I can't think of anything else?

It's definitely a bad mouse *or* a stuck context menu key. That's the key next to the right Windows key on the keyboard.

To set the record straight, it's not a popup - it's the context menu.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Thanks for letting me what they are called. that def. helps. And clarifies things.

I'm starting to edge toward my mouse perhaps keyboard as well. It seems like I'm always clicking my mouse to get rid of them and they just pop back up. I'm going to dig out my usb keyboard & mouse if give it a test.

Thanks BpB