Thread: raid 0 or not ? sata vrs SCSI speeds ?

raid 0 or not ? sata vrs SCSI speeds ?

Setting up my new computer and I am really torn as to using raid 0 or not. I have one new Raptor 74gig (sata) and have been thinking or adding another in raid 0 as the main drive setup. I do understand twice the potential for drive failure and loss of info. All of my previous raid setups have been either mirrored or raid 5.

So my main question is this - I know how slow a normal single WD 7200 ide/sata drive is, and on my server I run 2 15k 9 gig SCSI Ultra 160 as the main drive (drive in this case as they are set up as mirrors), and it is fast. How does the single 10k raptor compare, or for that matter two raptor 10k's in a raid o config?

I just don't have any base for comparison as I have not used a raptor / 10k ide/sata drive before? I know they have been reported as fast, but I haven't found much that is as fast as SCSI can be in real world usesge. Maybe I am behind the times here?

Anyone have any real world experience with this comparison?

Thanks, David

The rpm numbers pretty much tell the story. Can't beat a 15k SCSI

Raptors are the next best thing compared to a 7200 drive....

Raid O is a coin toss. Most will tell you not to bother. Others will swear by it and never go back. Alot depends on what you use the pc for. If you constantly work with HUGE files or applications it might be worth a try.
    "Vegetarians live up to nine years longer than the rest of us...Nine horrible, worthless, baconless years."

http://www.storagereview.com/Testbed4Compare.sr

The raptors fare pretty well against 10k rpm scsi. 15k is in a class by itself.

You need to also remember the cost of the scsi controller. That's why most people are happy with a raptor or two.

why do you think you need RAID0? If you don't have a compelling argument, then stick with single drives.

Look at these links in Best of Data Storage
    What makes a hard drive fast?
    Is RAID0 worth it?

I have read the excellent sticky on raid 0 setups, it filled in a lot.

I really don't need raid 0, I have always prefered mirrored arrays or raid 5 (hardware raid, never software), but I am in the qest for speed in this build. Pure and simple.

Thanks to both of you for your opinions, it is appreciated. David

If that's the case, then make sure to have a 3rd drive for backups. RAID0 arrays can and will break.