Thread: Shared folder issues.

Shared folder issues.

Having multiple issues here. I have one machine, that while it can access shared folders on all other machines, none of the machines can access the shared folders on it. They all have a common user account. Tried disabling the firewall, re-installing the service, even a repair install of XP. I can see the folders, but every time I try to access them it says I may not have permission.

The other problem, is with 2 computers. After accessing a certain computer(my roomates computer) nothing shows up in network neighborhood anymore, and if I go to view workgroup computers, it give the you may not haver permission error. If I type in the computer name manually I can still access them(other than the fore mentioned problem PC). I've run out of ideas, other than doing fresh installs..but I really would rather not do that, too many installed programs.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    XP pro , Home or both?

Specify OS'es plz Vista / XP and which flavor
    What equip you are using (Mobo's NIC, then what kind of Mobo; Router type, ISP type Cable or DSL or a college's shared network)

Thx

nB
    -Don't Present me with a Problem, Present me with a Possible Solution-

The desktops are using windows XP pro, laptop is using XP home. It's a home wireless network using a D-Link DIR-655 wireless N router, with Comcast cable internet(not having any internet problems though, just upgraded to 8meg this week). The computer A problem was present with the old linksys router as well. Computer B and C didn't have a problem until after accessing the shared folder on my roomates PC. I have 3 PC's at one desk, that are sharing a buffalo ethernet adaptor(basicly a wireless access point, that the computers connect to via ethernet). The laptop is using internal wirelss.
    Computer A, B, and C(desktops) are connected to the buffalo.

The laptop is of course seperate. Laptop can see all computers, and can access any but computer A.

Desktop B and C don't show anything in network neighborhood, but can access the computers by typing //computername. The shared folders for computer A can be seen, but can not be accessed.

Desktop A can see all of the other computers and access any of them. It just can't be accessed by any other machine, despite the fact they can all see the shared folders.

The computer A problem was present with the old linksys router as well. Actualy the computer A problem has been present for almost a year. Computer B and C didn't have a problem until after accessing the shared folder on my roomates PC.

All desktops are connected to the buffalo via on board NIC's.
    Computer A is using a DFI lanpart NF4 Ultra
    Computer B is using an Asus P5W-DH Deluxe
    Computer C is using a Gigabyte NF4 Intel edition chipset motherboard.
    The laptop is using an Intel chipset, running a core duo, I believe it's a 945 based chipset.
    Last edited by stevty2889; 09-29-2007 at 12:58 PM.

Upate: Got this reply on another forum:

This is a complete shot in the dark, but my filesharing recently got borked after some recent windows updates and it turned out to be the oddest issue.

http://support.microsoft.com/d...x?scid=kb;en-us;177078

Basically I had to create the IRPStackSize DWord value they mention, set the value to 25, and reboot both machines before my shares started working again.

Tried that and it fixed all the problems.