Thread: CompTIA Certification Quick Tip!

CompTIA Certification Quick Tip!

Hi guys!

Well i got divorced almost 5 months ago and i want to return to my IT learning track again now that i have the time (and no one arguing me about it) to do it, so the deal is:

I work as a helpdesk/servicedesk/network/server admin. for a big company, 2 years ago i tried to go with Cisco CCNA and didn't have the time to study so i quit since i wans't able to go to the practice classes in the academy i were having CCNA certified course; i want to get back on certs but i do not want to start with CCNA right now, i want to have some better knowledges before i go to deep into CCNA, i was thinking about Network+ and Server+ and maybe A+ (to get up to the IT Technician or help desk certificed) but i think the A+ won't bring much of a big difference in salary or workfield to migrate to another big company (since i'm not really comfortable in the one i'm now). I want to get both Server+ and network+ but i do not know wich one pick first.

¿So what are your suggestions? With what cert. should i pick to be my first one: Server+ or Network+? Are there any topics from any on them that could help me comprehend the other one better?

*crosses fingers*
    Thanks in advance for all of your posts

Att.
    Gokudan.
    "the bigger they are the harder i hit" Minsc from Baldur's Gate II

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    The A+ should be the foundation to your career track. Network+ builds on the info learned in the A+. Server+ would build on the Network+.

Quote Originally Posted by Sterling_Aug
    The A+ should be the foundation to your career track. Network+ builds on the info learned in the A+. Server+ would build on the Network+.
    Hi there sterling

I see, i was planning skipping A+ since i already know most of the stuff in it and here in my country it won't bring more money into the pocket (plus if i spend $300 it would be a long time until i will have that kinda money together again). But now that you say is a foundation to my career cert. track maybe i'll think about it.

I have one more question:

¿Would server+ be tougher to pass if i do not have most of the knowledges of network+?

Thank you

Yes, but that's where studying kicks in
    "Vegetarians live up to nine years longer than the rest of us...Nine horrible, worthless, baconless years."

Server and Network+ are closely related. A lot of the info in each is covered in both. I would start with [Network+]. If you can, you should study both at the same time. I took both and I would have chosen to do both at the same time.

A+ is great, but it won't really help with the other two. It will help you get a helpdesk job, but that's not your aim. Still, you should study it recreationally in your spare time and consider taking the cert for it. It's more fun than the others and will pump up your resume that much more.

The real money is in Cisco. That's because it's darned hard to learn!
    Last edited by BipolarBill; 09-30-2007 at 10:31 AM. Reason: I changed my mind, OK? ;)
    MS MCP, MCSE

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones
    Yes, but that's where studying kicks in
    Thanks Steve

Quote Originally Posted by BipolarBill
    Server and Network+ are closely related. A lot of the info in each is covered in both. I would start with Server. If you can, you should study both at the same time. I took both and I would have chosen to do both at the same time.

A+ is great, but it won't really help with the other two. It will help you get a helpdesk job, but that's not your aim. Still, you should study it recreationally in your spare time and consider taking the cert for it. It's more fun than the others and will pump up your resume that much more.
    I'll try to see how i do studying both, if not i'm gonna start with Server+, i'll follow your advice and will return to say the results hehehe, thanks Bill!

The real money is in Cisco. That's because it's darned hard to learn!
    Yes it is!

If you can't do both at the same time, take Network+. On further reflection, I remember that Server covered setting up routers because Windows Server can act as one. Taking Network+ first would help a lot with that.
    MS MCP, MCSE

If you can't do both at the same time, take Network+. On further reflection, I remember that Server covered setting up routers because Windows Server can act as one. Taking Network+ first would help a lot with that.
    In that case, Network + it is :P thx Bill!

This iphone rocks!
    MS MCP, MCSE