Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Athlon 3000 XP + M question...

I installed winxp pro... flashed bios... now it reads 1600 mhz in system info.... runs a lot better... but I still have the occasional hang... and it does take a little too long to start up... I have left it on all night to see if it's related to a heat problem and it actually ran better so it's not a heat problem. I know when it hangs and I have to use the task manager to end the program .. it does say something about the rundll32.exe..... at the corner of the box.... could that be something?

Also when I installed winxp .. there was about 100 mb that was used by something.... maybe DOS? Should I have left it there?

jonz-

Here's the link to the specs for your laptop:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...reg_R1002_USEN

According to the HP website, it is a Compaq Presario R3220CA (Made for the Canadian Market by HP) and it's CPU is a Mobile AMD XP-M processor 3000+ with Power Now! Technology (meaning that it's performance rating is equivalent to a CPU running at 3.0GHz).

LPTECH

Thanks!..... coincidentally I haven't been able to make this thing run full steam... so now I am in the process of getting a new hardrive... and see how that turns out..

I don't understand why my thread was moved to this section of the forum.... ?

Shouldn't it be in General....?

Your thread title is about CPUs and the problem is getting your CPU to run at the proper speed.

Update:
    I changed the hard drive.. and this thing came to life.... runs awesome..
    Thanks everyone...

Make sure you go into the BIOS and enable Optimum settings, and undo any other changes you recently made while troubleshooting. Once you see how it runs at the recommended settings, go ahead a tweak it if desired.

Kinda neat to get that laptop going good for the price of a hard drive. I hope you didn't pay too much for the laptop to start with!
    Thank God we're not getting all of the government we're paying for!

I paid $300 for it.... plus $60 for a 60 gig hard drive... if I knew I was going to go through this...I would have gladly paid the $599 for that duo core Toshiba that was on special at B*** B** ..... still in the future I have to upgrade the ram to 1 g... so that adds..

At least for now it runs excellent .

Even so, the XP-M is a nice performer for a single-core, what with the unlocked multiplier and all. I've been pricing new laptops for my daughter (she needs one for her grad work) and the $600-750 range are - ALMOST without exception - absolute entry-level dual-cores, or worse yet the Pentium D instead of a C2D or Athlon X2.

All things considered, not too bad a deal.
    Thank God we're not getting all of the government we're paying for!