Thread: Dell Latitude D600 Wireless problem

Ultimate Member

Dell Latitude D600 Wireless problem

I am working on a Dell Latitude D600 Laptop Service Tag 3FX7G51. I have tried every wireless driver Dell lists for this computer but it will not work. It does not show up in device manager either. System tools says one exists, I think. Any ideas???

which OS? did you try reseating the wifi card?

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    According to the original system list:

http://support.dell.com/support/topi...=04&l=en&s=bsd
    It was shipped with a wireless card (see the last line item #U2027).

Are you trying to install the Intel 2100 wireless card drivers?

http://support.dell.com/support/down...&fileid=135925

Ultimate Member
    I just reloaded this computer with WXP Pro with all updates. I installed the Intel 2100 wireless card drivers. The computer owner told me wireless has never worked from day 1. That is odd. I did see it on the config list before posting and that is what threw me. I will contact Dell. Thanks much.

Ultimate Member
    I just chatted with Dell about the situation. Since the computer was 1 1/2 months out of warranty, there is nothing they will do even if it never worked. This is the number 1 reason I don't recommend Dell. Perhaps they are all the same. All have hard and fast rule and are unwilling to bend.

Anywone know what a Intel 2100 min wireless card costs?

The Intel Pro-Set wireless cards used to be about $50 and after-market cards were about $30. I've even some MSI mini PCI cards for $20. I can't speak for the 2100, but I would have to believe they are in the same ballpark.

Ultimate Member
    Thanks much. I will ask the owner if he wants to go that way. I would think he would want to. First, I will try reseating the existing card.

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Any mini-PCI wireless card will work in any laptop. You are not locked in to any special combos.

If the owner failed to contact Dell from day 1, then why should you expect Dell to replace the card 1 1/2 months AFTER the warranty has expired?

You can't possibly fault Dell or any other manufacturer for a lazy customer. Maybe the customer will learn from this costly mistake on their part.

Don't know if this will help but my company supplied D600 originally shipped with WinXP home and was downgraded to Win2K by my IT dept for server compatability. A short time later, they upgraded it to XP pro and the wireless & DVD no longer worked. Due to time constraints, I researched to problem myself and found not it not only required a driver upgrade but also a bios update. Depending on which OS was preloaded, you may need to check out the bios. Check the Dell website for the D600 against the current bios on the machine.

Ultimate Member
    Is this the driver you used ? ? 13MB in size (not the other one)

http://support.dell.com/support/down...&fileid=135925

Also did you install both of the Chipset Drivers ? ?

Check if you have the A16 BIOS ... if not get it here:

http://support.dell.com/support/down...&fileid=133834

When you try to use the wireless, what happens ? ?

On some Dell laptops, there is a small switch which will turn on the WIFI Antenna

Is it ON ? ? ?

Does Device Manager show any Yellow ? marks .. if so fix them.

The D600 does not have a physical switch for turning on and off the wireless NIC, but it can be done. If the user pressed Function+F2 or disabled the wireless card in the BIOS, the card will not show in Windows.

One one of the pages (Page 3 on one of my D600's) you should find a section called Wireless configuration. The laptop will list if a bluetooth adapter and wireless NIC are installed. It will also show if wireless is on or off. Turn it on here if it is off. You should be able to install it if that was your problem.
    -- Mathias

Ultimate Member
    Odd that it does not have an antenna switch.
    I have a Latitude D620 using it right now and
    that model does have it (on the left edge of the keyboard)

Ultimate Member
    bruceb - Actually, rraehal is correct about using the function-F2 combination. This will show the wireless to be active but still the minicard does not work. The computer is not in my possesion right now but when I get it back, I will try a new mini-card.

Sterling - I tend to agree the person should have contacted Dell some time ago but as you know, that is a challenge in itself, depending on who you get. The warranty replacement procedure is a joke in my opinion. Most users don't know how to go about it.

Ultimate Member
    Yes, I rechecked the manual for that model ... It does not use a switch
    and I did not about the key combo to turn wireless on & off ... I do know
    on my D620 it does have a switch, but it could be done either way.

Did you get it working ?

Ultimate Member
    As soon as I can get my hands on the computer, I will try again. It may be a little while. I will post when I do. Thanks.