Thread: 65-year-old gets carded in supermarket

Complete & Utter Member j.m@talk's Avatar

65-year-old gets carded in supermarket

FARMINGTON, Maine - A 65-year-old woman who went into a Farmington supermarket to buy wine was turned away because she didn't have an ID with her. But Barbara Skapa of Mount Vernon says that won't happen again.

"I'll be bringing my driver's license with me from now on," Skapa said.

She normally carries her license. But with her leg in a cast, Skapa was being driven by a friend when she went into the Hannaford Bros. market last week in and picked up several items, including a few bottles of wine.

The cashier told her it was policy to check for identification, said Skapa, who believes "no one would mistake me for 30 or even 40." Skapa asked if her friend could buy the wine for her, but that was disallowed too because it's considered "third-party" purchasing. Skapa asked to see the manager.

A spokeswoman for the supermarket chain, Rebecca Howes, said Hannaford's new policy is to check IDs of anyone who looks under 45 and wants to buy alcohol. The previous policy was to check for proof of age of those who look younger than 30.

The policy is not unlike those of many other Maine businesses and chains who want to stop minors from illegally buying alcoholic beverages and cigarettes.

In 2005, the state Legislature passed a law that requires identification from those who look under 27 years old before they can buy either.

The Big Apple chain's 90 stores in Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont require clerks to require identification from anyone, regardless of age, who buys alcohol or tobacco. The strict policy went into effect after two Portland stores sold alcohol to minors in one night.

Earlier this year, some Portland establishments tightened their ID policies following an undercover sting of dozens of bars and convenience stores that led to 20 summonses for selling alcohol to underage customers. One restaurant, the Flatbread Co., told employees to card anyone ordering drinks who looks under 40.

A pilot program called Card ME was launched recently by the state Office of Substance Abuse and Maine's Higher Education Alcohol Prevention Partnership. It gives participating businesses educational guidebooks and material to help employees spot fake IDs.

What is this freakin' nonsense ?

Um, they should be flattered maybe?

What is this freakin' nonsense ?
    Either the result of a legally blind cashier or the store teaching their employees never to make "exceptions".

(I've walked into a wal-mart, bought a copy of Halo PC which is rated M, and they didn't ask me for ID...that's messed up)
    MSI 870S-G46 | AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.8ghz | Gigabyte Radeon 7870 Ghz Edition | 1 x 128GB Kingston HyperX SSD | 2 x WD 500GB Blue HDD | Arch Linux x64 | BFG Tech LS SERIES LS-550 550W | 2 x 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM, 2 x 2GB DDR3 1600 RAM (12 GB)

Quote Originally Posted by rockinup1231
    Either the result of a legally blind cashier
    How many illegally blind people have you met/heared of ?

Quote Originally Posted by rockinup1231
    (I've walked into a wal-mart, bought a copy of Halo PC which is rated M, and they didn't ask me for ID...that's messed up)
    ?
    How old are you and how old do you have to be?

Quote Originally Posted by j.m@talk
    How many illegally blind people have you met/heared of ?

3 1/2

Quote Originally Posted by werz
    ?
    How old are you and how old do you have to be?
    "M" silly

That's a direct result of the litigious idiots of the country expressing discontent that the cashiers (arguably not one of the most mentally-strenuous positions) shouldn't be the determining factor in who does and doesn't look like they're above a certain age.

So a blanket rule is laid down that everyone gets carded.