Thread: Memory Support for ECS P4M900T-M

Memory Support for ECS P4M900T-M

I got a free motherboard with the purchase of a Q6600 from Fry's a while back, and I want to try and use it (even though it is not a good motherboard) as a temporary motherboard till I can afford to get a super-duper one.

My problem is that I cant find any memory computability charts for that motherboard.

Also, I have heard 3 things:
    1 - Motherboards will clock down any ram speeds to be within range, so buying bigger for the future is not necessarily a bad thing.
    2 - Pretty much any ram over PC2-6400 is simply over-rated, and will likely have worse performance than a less expensive PC2-6400 set
    3 - Multiple 1GB sticks perform better than half as many 2GB sticks

The only one that makes sense to me is the third one... and possibly the first, given I can find a compatibility chart...

Budget is not a question, but Im not going to spend $400 on anything less than 4GB

Any help?
    "Study the past if you would define the future." - Confucius

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Post the make and model of that mobo.

Should be between the pci slots.

I can't find any compatibility chart, but any decent-quality RAM should be okay. PC6400 RAM SHOULD run (it's ECS, so who knows?) at the lower speed of that board with no problem; the bonus is that running slower than rated speed frequently yields faster timings than, say, PC5300 running at its rated speed. Even though that board doesn't support dual-channel memory, get your RAM in matched pairs. Someday you'll have a real motherboard and can take advantage of it. Your best bet is 2 x 1GB sticks. Anything more than that is overkill unless you do extremely heavy graphics work.

If you want to see something scary, read some http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16813135043]reviews[/URL] for that board. Apparently, quality control is spotty at best at ECS. However, user "knowledge" is all over the map too. I like the one complaining about the positioning of the graphics slot, his AGP card sticks way out the back of his computer. (This board uses PCI-E!)
    Thank God we're not getting all of the government we're paying for!

I had a Newegg ad in my email a few minutes ago, thought I'd pass this along to you. It's good-quality RAM from OCZ, very reputable. If you decide to buy this or similar quality, note that you'd have to check the default settings for DRAM voltage in your BIOS - this runs at 2.1V.

2x1GB PC6400 dual-channel kit for $98, not including a $35 rebate; final cost for 2GB $63 plus shipping. Probably the best price you'll see until Christmas.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227124
    Thank God we're not getting all of the government we're paying for!

ECS is a fine manufacturer of motherboards, I've been using a PCCHIPS M955G for about 2 years now (PCCHIPS is part of ECS), and one of my relatives have been using an ECS PM800-M2 for about the same about of time that I have been using my PCCHIPS mobo.

PC6400 running at PC5300 should be fine. One time, I had a DDR400 512MB piece of RAM running at DDR266 speeds (since it was an old motherboard with DDR266 maximum memory speed).