Thread: bootable XP install disk on DVD

bootable XP install disk on DVD

what I want to do is put my XP install disk on a DVD and put all the programs & driver disks on the DVD also...I'd like to just put in the DVD....install windows....then put in all my other CD programs in, and winamp, firewalls,antivirus,tool & tweekers,maybe some of the games.....everything I can so I won't keep having to change disks all the time...other than space what do I need to worry about???...can I just put the XP disk on it as I would on a CD copy and then put everything else in folders???or should I leave the windows disk as is and put all the add on's on a different DVD???...also I'm wanting to backup all my user(s) settings & Favs & links and all the stuff personal to each user....could they be in a folder with XP install on a DVD or should they also be on a different disk???
    ...I just think it would be cool to have everything on one or two disks instead of 20 disks and then downloading all of the other updates...
    ...let me know what you guys think!!!!

Thanks in advance!!!

why do you need to do a reinstall of all that stuff? just make an image with TrueImage or Ghost.

well...one reason is I didn't want to buy a program for that, and unless you know of a free trial of one that will let me copy to a larger partition size I'd be stuck with a smaller windows partition than I want...also there's some programs that I don't need and/or want to install differently. Pluss there's still nothing like a fresh install to get rid of junk files....I can still keep the windows that I'm using now and then install from there but I'd still have to use the Nero disk and other CD install disks to start them fresh....
    .....just want to do a clean & fresh install and make it easy as possable....

if you want to install them "differently" then why would you want do the install automatically after the xp install? That doesn't make sense. I think you're going to waste a lot of time trying to script everything. if you want to try...

http://www.nliteos.com/
    http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/

It would be MUCH easier to setup your system how you want it, then do a snapshot image. TI is relatively cheap. if you're dead set on a "freebie", http://www.runtime.org/dixml.htm

you can always resize partitions after the image is restored. that is a moot point.

I guess I wasn't clear...what I want to do is have XP on a DVD and basicly folders with all of the other software CD's I would have to install after windows...and a folder that has my downloaded firewalls, spyware programs, winamp and things like that but all on one DVD (with the XP install) so when I install windows I can just go to each program folder and do a new / clean install of each of them without swaping disks in and out over and over again.....I'm thinking the easiest way might be to just do windows like it is and make a DCD or 3 of the rest of the programs and do it that way....my question was could I make a DVD of windows that would boot to the windows install and still put some of the program install disks in folders on that disk to install everything with the fewest number of disks (via DVD instead of CD's)....is that clear enough???
    ...but thanks for the links....I may go that route but still like the idea of a clean start.....

...and not via scripts or automaticly....just not having to load a stack of disks....

Quote Originally Posted by mousepotato2
    ...and not via scripts or automaticly....just not having to load a stack of disks....
    yeesh. you just don't want to carry a bunch of discs? you can do a semi-slipstream then. look at these instructions to make the dvd bootable for the xp install.

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=295

Or have the regular XP cd install disc. Then have a seperate DVD containing all the additional files and updates you'll need. You will only have to insert the DVD after the XP install is done, then leave the DVD in, until all the files are installed. You will only have 2 discs. Plus this would be easier than trying to figure out how to create and XP install DVD with a folder containing all the updates and additional files.