Thread: SuperMicro X5DP8-g2

SuperMicro X5DP8-g2

I have a SuperMicro X5DP8-G2 machine, which has 2 Xeon processors (3 GHz), 8 gb of ram, 5 SCSI disks (Adaptec controller), and an ATI graphics card. It used to run Windows 2000 and Fedora, but for some reason the disks had been formatted, and the original disks are nowhere to be found.
    I tried to install Windos XP, Linux (Ubuntu) or Knoppix on it, but all fail-- the installation process stops either with an error message (Kubuntu) or simply does not proceed beyond "Setup is checking the hardware of your machine", etc.
    I tried LiveDisk ISO for Linux but they did not get to the point of being able to use the OS.

Any suggestions for reviving this (potentially fast) machine will be greatly appreciate.

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Did you install the SCSI drivers (press F6) before trying to install XP?

You may want to install an IDE drive for the OS and leave the SCSI RAID setup for data storage only.

super micro trouble

I was never given the option to press F6. I did press it, but the expected message (load third party drivers) was never shown. The machine is 5 years old-- could it have lost its BIOS battery power? If not, what is going on?

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    The machine is 5 years old

I would replace the battery.
    Not that expensive. Less than $5 if I remember right.

Clean the face of the cd and the lens in the cdrom.

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    I always start pressing F6 as soon as the system starts booting. I continue pressing F6 about once per second until the Windows install bar starts loading. I would try reloading Windows again.

You should also replace the CMOS battery. 2-3 years is about the average life (5 years is really pushing it for a $2 battery).