Thread: socket 939

socket 939

How much longer do you think I'll be able to get a dual core 939 & what do you think the fastest 939 dual core will be????

AMD already stopped producing socket 939. They announced that last year. Find what you can get now.

http://diysite.no-ip.biz/gadgets-toy...ips-announced/

dual core 939

...what I see is 2.6ghz dual core for about $350.....the question is (I knew AMD stopped making them) is the price going to go up or down...and how much longer will they be around???...I mean should I wait or grab one before they are gone???
    .....or even should I just wait and get another MOBO and CPU sometime down the road???? I have a San Diego core 2.4 (single core) in this and it runs up to 3ghz but I keep it around 2.7 w/o a hiccup but want to go dual core soon....
    ...maybe I should wait for the AMD Quadcore Dual CPU setup???...lol....

There isn't a reason to go to dual core unless your applications are SMP enabled, aka multithreaded.

Intel Conroe is where it is at right now. If you're gonna spend money, get one of those.

yea...I know....

....looking at the Quad core Intel also.....when I hit the lotto I'll get one....
    I saw AMD is putting out a dual CPU setup for dual core proccesers...able to run 2 quad core CPU's when AMD comes out with them......

....someday we'll have 8 core CPU's and 8 processer boards....lol..

what I'm looking for is what I can afford for now and I will have to do the MOBO & CPU thing someday soon but untill then is it worth my getting a 2.6ghz dual core for my Asus board ( to replace this SD core 2.4ghz ) or should I waid a few more months and go the board / CPU route???.....6 - 12 months down the road it may be a whole new ball of wax!!!!

that was my point. i don't think it is worth it. unless you have a specific reason to use dual core, save your money.

....well...that's also MY point..don't get me wrong, I'm pretty happy with this single core 2.4....it runs seamlessly at 2.7 (225fsb @ 5x hypertransport) but just like "corking" a bat (if it was legal) if I could hit farther why not???..... now here's another way to put it....I just saw AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ 2.0GHz / 1MB Cache / 1000MHz (2000 MT/s) FSB / Toledo / Dual-Core / OEM / Socket 939 / Processor for $79.99 http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...CMP=EMC-NEXTAG
    ...now is a dual core 2.0ghz any faster than a single core 2.4????
    ////////....and yes, I don't race but I want all the speed a few bucks would get me....lol

Quote Originally Posted by mousepotato2
    ....well...that's also MY point..don't get me wrong, I'm pretty happy with this single core 2.4....it runs seamlessly at 2.7 (225fsb @ 5x hypertransport) but just like "corking" a bat (if it was legal) if I could hit farther why not???..... now here's another way to put it....I just saw AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ 2.0GHz / 1MB Cache / 1000MHz (2000 MT/s) FSB / Toledo / Dual-Core / OEM / Socket 939 / Processor for $79.99 http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...CMP=EMC-NEXTAG
    ...now is a dual core 2.0ghz any faster than a single core 2.4????
    ////////....and yes, I don't race but I want all the speed a few bucks would get me....lol
    No it's not faster. It's going to be smoother if you do heavy multitasking but it's not faster and won't run games as well. Dual core is for those people who have multiple apps open at once, not ones who want to run one app more quickly.

If you need to buy a new processor today, I would definitely go dual core, but there's no point replacing a processor that's working with one that much slower without very good reason.
    "Dude you're getting a Dell." Obscure curse from the early 21st Century, ascribed to a minor demon-spirit known as "Stephen?" [sp].

Look for a 4400+ with the 2 x 1MB cache; they'll OC to 2.5GHz without any problem (our family-room computer is at 2.64GHz and stable on an Abit AV8). If you can get a faster one at stock speeds, a 4800 or 5200, go for it. The 2 x 512KB models are good, but the larger cache is just as easy to find. Another option going Socket 939 is the Opteron, also dual core. eBay has dozens of each, the prices have actually come down. Not so much because of the CPUs themselves, but the 939 mobos don't have the features the AM2s do; so, since they're in lower demand the 939 CPUs are too.

If you want dirt-cheap, wait 'til the fall when the quad-cores really start coming out, then buy dual-core.
    Thank God we're not getting all of the government we're paying for!

i went to frys electronics 3 days ago and i spent $691 on a E6600, eVGA 680i motherboard and 2GB DDR2 OCZ SLi edition ram.
    AMD Phenom II x4 940 @ 3.41GHZ : Asus M3A78-T : 8GB DDR2 800 : Acer 23" 1080P Widescreen : ATi Radeon HD 4870 : OCZ GameXtremE 850 Watt PSU

Ya gotta love it. Seven years ago we bought our first computer, an HP Pavilion 6636 with Win98SE. 64MB RAM (256 max), a huge 20GB HDD, Socket 370 mobo (TriGem Cognac) with a 500MHz Celeron CPU and it cost us about $960. We thought we got the deal of the century. It still works, but right now its primary function is holding the closet floor down.
    Thank God we're not getting all of the government we're paying for!