Thread: ATA vs SATA

ATA vs SATA

I am new and don't know the difference between SATA abd ATA, Can a SATA device be plugged into an ATA socket?

Not without an adapter. They are different interfaces and have different controllers and connections Even the power connection is different from a standard molex.

Thanks for the reply.

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    ATA is also called IDE or EIDE.
    SATA or SATA2 are the newer style drives and they are not compatible with the IDE drives.

If your computer is more than a few years old, then you may only have IDE controllers on it. If it is newer then you should be able to use either style hard drive.

My new motherboard, ASUS p4s800D-X, userguide says this, "The motherboard supports two interfaces compliant to the Serial ATA (SATA) specification, an evolutionary replacement of the Parallel ATA storage interface." I guess that is why neophytes are confused. People in the know use the term ATA in two ways. I just bought a new DVD burner and got the IDE model because I was led to believe that SATA was newer than ATA. I do have SATA plugs in my computer. I guess, and didn't realize that there are two kinds of ATA.

Ultimate Member
    There aren't.

ATA is the name of the specification - and this specification defines two interfaces, IDE and SATA.

The SATA specification has spun off meanwhile.

The confusion exists because nobody bothers use the right terms for stuff.