Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What do I do if good HD companys are no good?

What do I do if good HD companys are no good?

I've had two Maxtor HD's that have worked very good for years. I want to get a bigger one, about 250GB (ide). I looked at the reviews at newegg and found lots and lots of DOA's, failures on the Maxtor's.

People I talk to say Maxtor's are no good (I know they where bought out).

I was told to look at Western Digital. I wanted to buy one but looked at the reviews also. Lots of Failures. Loud clicking noises, drives running HOT, failures.

How am I supposed to choose a hard drive if so many DOA's and quick failures are taking place?

Isn't there a good hard drive company anymore?

Thank you for any input,
    Chris.

Samsung!

never had any issues with any of their drives and they're very quiet.

you're going to find lemons in all brands. some people just make more noise about it. I've seen a bad drive from just about every company out there. remember that it's not if a hd will die, it's when.

Maxtor is the "value" group from Seagate now. Hitachi and Seagate are pretty solid. WD's raptors are good too.

Checked the reviews on Samsung. Nobody left any at newegg. I checked another place and no reviews. Guess not as many people buy Samsung as other drives.

Think.

Who is going to write a review about a drive that works as expected? The answer is *no one*.

Who is going to write a review about a drive that fails? Every single ticked-off user, that's who.

So what's the ratio of good reviews to bad going to be for hard drives?

Think.

Buy Seagate. They have a 5 year warranty. Pay no attention to the squeaky wheels. They are the ones that make noise.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    I like Western Digital and Seagate.

Steer clear of Maxtor and Toshiba.

You get what you pay for. If two nearly identical drives (size and specs) are side by side but one is 30% less cost, why is that? Doh, it isn't made to last as long.

I own four Seagate harddrives. Not once have any of them failed or been any problem to me. I'd definitely recommend you to go with Seagate.

Quote Originally Posted by BipolarBill
    Think.

Who is going to write a review about a drive that works as expected? The answer is *no one*.

Who is going to write a review about a drive that fails? Every single ticked-off user, that's who.

So what's the ratio of good reviews to bad going to be for hard drives?

Think.

Buy Seagate. They have a 5 year warranty. Pay no attention to the squeaky wheels. They are the ones that make noise.
    "Who is going to write a review about a drive that works as expected? the answer is *no one*.

Out of 310 reviews,
    238 where "Excellent" (top rating).
    40 where good
    10 are average
    10 are Poor
    12 are very poor

The answer is most.

"So what's the ratio of good reviews to bad going to be for hard drives?
    Think."

I did think. Then I posted here in the forums.

Thanks for pointing out the 5 year warranty. I didn't notice it. That means a lot to me. If you make something good, you shouldn't be afrade to back it up.

Now all I need to do is figure out which one of the 4 to get.

WD Raptors also come with a 5 year warranty.

If the majority of reviews were excellent, why are you concerned about reliability? What is this thread all about, hearsay?

The beauty of competition is that you can choose what you want. You should not feel compelled to buy Maxtor just because you had them in the past. Hard drives are not proprietary in any significant way. One works the same as the next.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    A few years ago, yes there were problems with certain makes and models.
    But today, at the 250GB level, buy the brand that offers the best warranty that you prefer.

Seagate bought Maxtor long enough ago, that they have had time to work out the maxtor glitches in the under 80GB models.

I've used Maxtors for years now.
    A year ago I bought a Western Digital.
    2 months ago bought a 300Gb Seagate Sata300.

What I have noticed.
    Maxtors run real hot. I have fans on all the Maxtor hard drives.
    Western Digital run warm and quiet.

Love the Seagate. Its runs cool and quiet. Heck, the only noise coming from the computer with the Seagate is the intake fan. I'm planning on getting another one.

Quote Originally Posted by loAol
    I own four Seagate harddrives. Not once have any of them failed or been any problem to me. I'd definitely recommend you to go with Seagate.
    Personally I've been a user of Quantum since the old days before they were bought out by Maxtor.

Now, I use Seagate (for their 5-year warranty) or Hitachi drives (the then IBM, for their easy RMA procedures).

I get pretty wary of comments like "I've used x number of drive from y company; none has failed on me. Go with it!"

Frankly, statistically speaking, from a production pool of possibly tens of thousands to millions of drives manufactured, the sample size taken for the recommendation statement only constitutes 0.000005% (assuming 5 in 1 million) at best, very possibly much lower.

One should be vigilant of misleading statements based on negligible percentages.

I've been using the Seagates for a while now. Very reliable drives with a great warranty. I'm happy with them.
    "Dude you're getting a Dell." Obscure curse from the early 21st Century, ascribed to a minor demon-spirit known as "Stephen?" [sp].

OK, thanks for the input.
    A guy bought ten Seagate from newegg and 6 came DOA. I'm looking for a Seagate but can't get them locally.
    The ones that work they say are very good.
    Chris.