Thread: System time stops

System time stops

Hi folks, been having some problems on a laptop lately. The clock stops whenever the system is shut down or hibernated.

When I view the system time in BIOS, the clock does not tick in real-time.

Suspicion of course goes to the CMOS battery being the culprit (haven't changed that yet), but the BIOS settings can still be saved successfully.

All help and advice is welcomed. Meanwhile, I will get to trying to change the CMOS battery first.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    I do believe you have located the guilty item.
    And that battery is probably located under the mobo [motherboard] and soldered in.

Could it be that the RTC is spoilt?

almost certainly the cmos battery is dead

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    If the BIOS holds the settings when powered off, then the CMOS battery may not be dead, but it may be weak.

Not all laptop CMOS batteries are soldered in either. My HP Pavilion DV5000 that I am using now has a standard replaceable CR-2032 watch battery just like most of my desktop systems do. My battery is located right under the mini-PCI slot for easy access. Look around for the users maintenance manual for your specific model laptop for details.

Now all I need are the manuals to the Acer Travelmate 3001WTCi notebook, to disassemble it and replace the battery.

Hi folks, I've replaced the CMOS battery and everything is running smoothly now. Thanks for all the input!

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Thanks for posting the good news.

Quote Originally Posted by Comage
    Now all I need are the manuals to the Acer Travelmate 3001WTCi notebook, to disassemble it and replace the battery.
    Hi Comage,

I have the same laptop as yours, namely, the Acer TravelMate 3001WTCi. The CMOS battery is very weak and I would like to replace it. Would u be so kind to either email me the service manual for this laptop or if u could give me any pointers such as where the CMOS battery is, is it soldered, what type of CMOS battery it is and how easy it would be to do if I did it myself (being a non-expert)?

Many thanks in advance for any reply..

Hi there, uncommon13. IIRC, the battery is joined to the motherboard of the laptop via a 2-pin plug (like those plugs for your motherboard fans or CPU fan). You will need to unplug the old battery from the laptop, desolder the old battery from the connector and solder the new one on.

As for the model of the battery, the solder contacts covered the battery, so I just brought it along to the shop for comparison when buying a new one. Make sure you buy one from shops like Radioshack (not sure if they sell them over in US) with the contact legs **pre-soldered** onto the battery. So you just have to solder the wires over to the legs.

As for the location of the battery, I remember it was in some obscure part of the motherboard, so you will have to disassemble the whole laptop apart to get at the battery.

I don't have the service manual so I did it myself. Just gotta be careful when taking the parts apart, especially the audio jack. It may require some nudging to get the jack out holes of the plastic chassis.

Hope it helps.
    Last edited by Comage; 02-23-2008 at 12:22 AM.

Hi Comage,

Many thanks for your quick reply

I'll have to take my laptop to a computer repair shop since I don't think I'm competent enough to desolder the cmos battery and solder the new one.

Thanks again for your comprehensive reply.

Best Regards