Thread: Keyboard PS/2 to USB adaptor

Keyboard PS/2 to USB adaptor

My computer PS/2 is down
    But keyboard O.K. (tested in another computer)
    I buy a PS/2 to USB adapter to use the keyboard in USB
    But the computer does not recognise the USB keyboard

Do I need to install a driver ?

You might need to enable USB keyboard support in the BIOS.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Legacy USB maqybe a nother name for it and do check things out real close. Some mobos have 2 or 3 places where usb like that has to be enabled.

I have bought some PS2 to USB Adapters. I have only had problems in 2 cases - the first is the adapter was defective - the second was the computer did not support USB keyboards.

If a computer does not support the USB keyboard via the BIOS, windows may still load the USB drivers, it will simply take a while when windows boots up. You will need a newer version of windows. Win98SE or newer should give no issues with a USB keyboard. I have only used USB with Win2k and XP.
    -- Mathias

I guess it is a defective adapter because I'm running XP and should support USB keyboard

I'm actually using the PS2 to USB Keyboard adapter right now to type this. My new laptop doesn't have PS2 ports and I didn't want to spent money on a cheap keyboard because the key layout is different than I like.

My brand is made by Micro Innovations and can support a mouse and keybaord at the same time. I have about 8 of them in my office.

http://www.amazon.com/USB-To-PS-2-Adapter/dp/B000086TKU
    -- Mathias

The adaptors can behave differently on different pc's...You have to try a few different brands till you find one that works...Would be easier to get a different keyboard.
    "Vegetarians live up to nine years longer than the rest of us...Nine horrible, worthless, baconless years."

Quote Originally Posted by warrenw
    I guess it is a defective adapter because I'm running XP and should support USB keyboard

Yes but only if as stated above its been enabled in the bios.Can you borrow a USB keyboard at all and check ?

Ultimate Member
    You realize you need an active USB-PS2 /controller/ if your keyboard doesn't explicitly support USB itself? (In the latter case, a passive adapter bit as often found with mice would do.)

Peter, could you please expand on that a bit? How would a keyboard support/not support USB itself? What is an "active" USB-PS2/controller?
    FijiJohn

Ultimate Member
    An active USB-PS2 controller is a USB device in itself, providing PS/2 mouse and keyboard connectors on its far end, and pretending to be a USB HID (Human Interface Device) toward the system.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822998006

Keyboards and mice that support PS/2 or USB all by themselves just need a plug adapter. The device /itself/ then switches to being a USB HID instead of a legacy PS/2 device.

These passive adapters contain no logic at all and look like this:

https://shop.heureka.co.at/popup_ima...osCsid=b8250ce