Thread: new drive will NOT appear as C:

new drive will NOT appear as C:

I've added a WD Caviar IDE as a master to a system and slaved the old C:, (Fujitsu MPE3064AT). The Fujitsu is 6gig and full so I thought I would put in an 80gig master and keep the data on the old drive as a slave.

I set the jumpers on both drives to show the Fujitsu as slave and the WD as Master with Slave. Used a copy of WinXP Home to format the new drive NTFS. The Fujitsu was running WinXP Pro.

Now when I boot it comes up WinXP Home but the Fujitsu is listed in My Computer as the C: drive and the WD is listed as E:.

Any ideas?

I tried to reset the jumpers on both drive to CS and cabled the WD at the end of the cable and the Fujitsu in the middle but the Fujitsu continues to show as the C:, even though it appears to be booting WinXP Home from the WD on E:.

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    I would remove the old drive completely, install Windows again, reboot then make sure it is C: drive. Then install the old drive and it will be assigned the E: drive. Make sure to delete the old Windows folder so you free up more space.

Got a Primary/Slave HDD error, (F1 to continue) and the master appears as E:

No C: showing in device manager

reinstalled windows and it STILL shows up E:. It's the only fixed disk showing, there is no C:.

Did you remember to remove the WD jumper during the reinstall ? Did you delete and recreate the Windows partition during Setup ? Setup should prompt to setup Windows in C: ...

do you have a memory card reader or other usb drive connected? that will confuse the xp setup.

I did remove the jumper and put the drive on the end of the cable. I did not delete and recreate the partition during the install. Did not see it as an option during the process to be honest.

There are no memory card or USB devices attached. Keyboard mouse and monitor only. Neither keyboard nor mouse is USB.

I have had this happen when I have a Zip Drive connected. Do you have a Zip in this system? If so, unplug the zip, format and install with only your CD and new drive connected.
    -- Mathias

No ZIP drives. The only devices connected are keyboard, mouse and monitor. None are USB.

Your only IDE devices are you new Hard Drive (Primary Master) and your CD ROM (Secondary Master). There are no other devices on your IDE channels?

You did format the computer and reinstall on the new drive after it became E the first time?
    -- Mathias

There are only two controllers with one device on each ribbon cable. WD hard drive on IDE0 and CDROM on IDE1. That is what BIOS reports at startup as well.

I did a reinstall but the WD still showed as E:. The CD is showing as D:.

I have deleted the partition, reallocated it and am resinstalling again.

Deleting the partition seemed to work. The WD nows shows as C:. I'm going to set the jumpers to master w/slave and add the old Fujitsu back in jumpered as slave. Thanks for your help.