Thread: Monitor Calibration

Monitor Calibration

Not sure if this is the right forum...

I have a PowerMac G5 with a 32 Westinghouse LCD TV, and I'm having difficulty calibrating my computer/monitor.

Supposedly, using the settings that everyone recommends, everything is supposed to look better. Yet everything is kind of washed out, no color really. Not to mention there's an obvious grain to my pictures now in the highlights.

While my DVDs look amazing now, my pictures look like ****, and as a photographer that's not exactly kosher.

Can anyone help me?

PS. The Apple software tells me to turn up my contrast all the way during the calibration, and at the risk of asking a stupid question, am I supposed to leave it that way at all times to get the proper calibration? Because maybe I've grown up too long with CRTs but won't that leave a burn image in the TV? Or do LCDs not suffer the same kind of burn effect that old CRTs did? Does contrast even effect brightness to burn an imagine in the first place?
    Last edited by Pickdlm; 05-01-2007 at 02:30 AM.

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    There is a very good DVD calibration video that you may want to buy:

"DVD Video Essentials".

I found that the contrast on monitors and TVs should never be set to higher than 50%.

You can't beat hardware calibration. Although they can be very expensive, the entry level tools are quite reasonably priced. The Huey has a good rep:

http://www.gretagmacbeth.com/index/p...-mgmt-spec.htm