Thread: Oblivion.. why is this game so hot?

Oblivion.. why is this game so hot?

I've been playing this supposed game hit for a couple days.. ,and honestly, i think the game is average at best. Reminds me of Thief 3 alot and I am having issues with the way the game designers have made somethings like controls in the game.
    Is there not a way to DISCARD some of what you've collected?? I have looked and mostly nothing at all for that. I get tosome point and discover i have collected too much stuff.. and it freezes you and says your too encumbered?? Nice touch...Not! Very stupid.. if thats the case..then like any other game of its kind one should be able to discard ..right?
    PLaying on average or normal difficulty, i am doing OK, but it seems like they made yourself way less adaptor effective then the enemy ( probably to make it a bit harder i gather ), but i find even that is done poorly. Most games you can use skill and knife with one stroke or at least have an even chance, but your character no matter what has to be like a madman to even compete.. Took me like many many tried and resaves to get through the first main building ( other side of river ..trying to find the guy I'm supposed to give the special amulet to.

Only reason i'm still playing it is this game must get better. I've played alot of games like this that work much better and even look better to me.
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

Ultimate Member
    Try reading the manual - sounds like you need to, discarding items is easy enough, just shift-click an item in your inventory.

The reason Oblivion is so good is the level of scope and variety of the game world and gameplay, whilst still managing to avoid going to beardy wierdy in depth and retaining an approachable style of gameplay. All that bolstered by some fantastic visuals (especially when you stick somethign liek Quarls Texture pack into the mix).

60+ Hours logged so far over Oblivion, Knights of the Nine and now Shivering Isles (which so far is simply excellent) - unusual that i put, or that the game is vast enough to allow you to put that amount of time into a single game these days.

--Jakk
    "You don't know Jakk..."

Windows Vista Business x64
    Hiper 580Watt PSU -- Gigabyte GA-P31-DS3L -- Intel Core2Quad 6600 -- 4GB PC6400 -- 256MB GeForce FX7800GT
    SATA-II HDD 1x500Gb/1x400GB/1x250GB-- 1x120GB ATA-100 HDD
    [/B]

Yeah.. i gathered it was a huge hence vast game. reason its still on my machine is i am curious and want to see more.

For me, i come to realize this style of game is not one that i am the best at, although i have played typ. strategy type games, not in the FPS style. Somewhere around here, i also have Morrowind. I guess thats the first in the five set anthology.

The inventory thing is alot like other gam3es i have played, but i found it almost too simple..maybe expecting a easier way of control config. its like stop, hit buton scroll,inventory ,and what follows.

A couple of nights ago, i downloded three walkthroughs for clues and storyline, or other... reading some of those i find it is indeed very complicated, maybe toomuch to peak my commital to that much time. I find i play a bit here and there, and thats about it.

I bet your a Dungeon Seige fan... somelike the second, but differnt story ansd scope. similar inventory system, and style though. Too many quests and i get lost. Had that problem trying to play KOTOR and dropped it on the shelf..

I do like storylines and all that very much, and of course strong visuals, so thats a plus. Runs about 15-20 FPS, but thats with all the whisles and normal according to Toms Hardware charts.... An 8000GTX only gets just above 70..

Thanks Jak, for sharing your thoughts LOL
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

Ultimate Member
    Not a dungeon Siege fan, to be honest im not attuned to most things beard-related, as the resident Fantasy-genre hater i dont get along at all well with bierdy wierdy RPG's, with the exception of Oblivion, my RPG'ing is usually done firmly within the realms of Cyberpunk.

i usually dont have the inclinationor lack of social life necessary to really get into the fantasy genre, as noted by the fact that every time someone mentions LotR to me i suddenly develop tourettes.

The only exception to this is Oblivion, simply because while it still retains a beardy wierdy facade, its easily approachable gameplay plus the fact it truly is one of the best games of the last decade, make it a must have title,

--Jakk
    "You don't know Jakk..."

Hiper 580Watt PSU -- Gigabyte GA-P31-DS3L -- Intel Core2Quad 6600 -- 4GB PC6400 -- 256MB GeForce FX7800GT
    [/B]

Ok... If i run into serious trouble spots or am stumped along the way,possibly you could help there.. I guess the proper thing to do is read up more on the game like manual or other sources,so i can get more acquainted.

I know you say the visuals are supposed tobe good, but honestly i've seen better. Maybe outdoor stuff is better. I hate haviong to switch from torch to weapon. Remeinds me of D3,in that regard. Dark dungeons and all.

After reading the walkthrough, i just may have missedsome things..like the world map portal and am in an area noneof the walkthroughs describe as next. When i finally got outside after the first part trial i walked across the river, and entered that big complex building. Trying to find my way out now.. Way too many weapons. The onei want i cannot do unless i discard. Hope your advice on that works. Its really the only reason, i got frustrated. Why didn't they just make a discard key?

One thing I'd recommend when you get later into the game is that you DON'T get 100% chameleon, it takes the fun out of the game.

Ultimate Member
    The dungeon visuals arent anything specifically great, but the outdoor environments are amazing - id reccomend you boost them even further with something like Quarls Texture Pack but it would probably kill your system.

See here for further simple enhancments that can be made to visual.

Regrading the inventory, inventory balancing is a staple of any RPG based game - this isnt Doom where youve got the ability to walk around with a nuclear warhead in your backpack along with an arsenal of more fire arms, you have to prioritise what you carry, personally i play a warrior based character, so i generally discard or sell all magical items, as well as bows and arrows. Instead i devote my inventory to usually one heavy hitting weapon (e.g. sword) and a full suit of heavy armour. My inventory is usually then further padded with sellable items such as precious stones, or health potions etc.

If your having a hard time managing your inventory in Oblviion, wait until you play STALKER, you pick up two or three weapons and all of a sudden you can't move

--Jakk
    "You don't know Jakk..."

[/B]

After a closer look i'd have to agree.. the more you see all of it...and scope its actually some very nice visuals... I went to the website and there is alot of content and stuff..about this game and previous.
    I just hate playing a game starting the fifth volume. I read trilogy books before and i have to complete the first and go on...

Thks again Jak for showing me how to discard weapons.. i played some more, and now i can't seem to defeat the walking skeleton creatures, even farther down this huge building. I got to the room where they are all jailed. Some are on the loose, and they are very very stubborn.. Every so often i mix some things ,and also use what helpes my stamina and poison on the weapons.I do have and have collected most of waht is in the game so far, and discard what is cumbersome( JUST DIE DARN YOU ! )

Still, for me anyways, this game will take some time to ever complete, and knowing what it is, there may be no real ending, but various senarios. Little by little, until i learn about this world and get comfortable.LOL

Ultimate Member
    I'm not a big RPG fan, but I love Oblivion. It is 1 of only 3 RPG's that I've enjoyed. The other two being the original Zelda on NES and FF7.

One question..am i in an area not normally played next? in one walkthrough, i'mtold to use the world map and transport to somewheres ..right after i get outside after the main first scenario ends...

yeah.. i seem to like strategy RTS games alot, but this is not in a genre not totally ujnknown... Seems i've played something similar i'm sure... I play so many FPS games its actaully nice to have something different to spend some time on...

I'm not sure whether i'll get online with this anytime soon though. Esp..,if one has to pay to play...don't know. A novice like me, i would get creamed..MTL.

Is this considered a MMOPH ? i guess so...

I don't believe that you can play online with this one. I think it is only single player.

It sounds like I just have to get this game. But the price is just not dropping from $60. It doesn't seem to drop in price like all the other games. Must be good then.
    Two Crazy Ducks Hosting - Windows shared web hosting