Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Shadow of Chernobyl Discussion

Ultimate Member

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Shadow of Chernobyl Discussion

It's a bit good...

Thats all ive really got time to say, but THQ really have done a good job of actually getting GSC Gameworld to get somethign halfway decent out the door. Alright a lot of the really original scope and content has been sacrificed on the way, and there are a lot of issues with bugs and crashes, its still woth a play.

This is the sort of game that will split opinion though due to its gameplay mechanics, you will either love it or hate it. To give you a warning, this is no straight up FPS, instead you should be thinking along the lines of Oblivion with guns.

--Jakk
    "You don't know Jakk..."

Windows Vista Business x64
    Hiper 580Watt PSU -- Gigabyte GA-P31-DS3L -- Intel Core2Quad 6600 -- 4GB PC6400 -- 256MB GeForce FX7800GT
    SATA-II HDD 1x500Gb/1x400GB/1x250GB-- 1x120GB ATA-100 HDD
    [/B]

Sounds interesting. I have been wanting to play it since it was announced...years ago. Are the graphics anything close to being top notch, or are they outdated due to the many delays?

You've compared it to Oblivion, but with guns. Is it as good as Oblivion?
    Two Crazy Ducks Hosting - Windows shared web hosting

Ultimate Member
    As long as you have the horses to pull the new Dynamic lighting model then it looks very pretty, theres some great texture work and the lighting is top drawer, but some of the models look a bit lacking. With the standard lighting model it doesnt look anythign all that amazing though.

its not quite up to Oblivion standard, there are some clunky elements, comabt is less than fluid, as such its not one for the straight FPS fan, similarly some of the RPG-ish elements dont come off quite right, and many of the sidequests often feel a little pointless. Still, it really is worth a look as it simply oozes atmosphere and some of its gameplay shortfalls can be forgiven for what is probably the best amalagmation of an RPG and FPS into one since Deus Ex

--Jakk
    "You don't know Jakk..."

Hiper 580Watt PSU -- Gigabyte GA-P31-DS3L -- Intel Core2Quad 6600 -- 4GB PC6400 -- 256MB GeForce FX7800GT
    [/B]

Ultimate Member
    I just got the game today, and like Jakk says, it definatly has a good atmosphere. Overall though, I'd say the game is pretty good, but far from great. Definatly not as good as Oblivion, not even close IMO. The game does make good use of dual core CPU's, so it's nice seeing more and more games take advantage of today's available hardware.

Ultimate Member
    Im not fully sure that STALKER does actually take advantage of multiple cores. Something i seem to recall reading tells me that it doesnt.

--Jakk
    "You don't know Jakk..."

[/B]

guess it does utilize dual and quad processor's

http://www.hardocp.com/news.html?new...VzaWFzdCwsLDE=
    EVGA GTX 470
    OCZ 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3
    EVGA 141-BL-E757-TR LGA 1366 Intel X58 SLI
    COOLER MASTER Stacker RC-832-KKN1-GP Black
    Intel tel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz Quad-Core

Ultimate Member
    It does... I had my task manager running on my 2nd monitor while playing and it had both cores going. my overall CPU usage was between 65-80% with some spikes above that. However, the game IS pretty buggy, and there have been reports of the game only maxing out one core.

Im thinking now if I should get this game or not, Ive been waiting for it for a long time, now I have read reviews which are good but it seems so buggy, Is it worth it or should I wait for a patch?
    EVGA GTX 470
    OCZ 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3
    EVGA 141-BL-E757-TR LGA 1366 Intel X58 SLI
    COOLER MASTER Stacker RC-832-KKN1-GP Black
    Intel tel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz Quad-Core

Ultimate Member
    It seems a bit hit and miss regarding the bugs, some people are having loads of issues. Me and my flatmate havent have hardly experienced any thus far (i got my first CTD last night).

It really is worth getting and playing IMO - i also dont think the first patch will address all that much tbh, as Vista compatibility seems to be the priority for the first patch.

--Jakk
    "You don't know Jakk..."

[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Bigjakkstaffa
    It seems a bit hit and miss regarding the bugs, some people are having loads of issues. Me and my flatmate havent have hardly experienced any thus far (i got my first CTD last night).

It really is worth getting and playing IMO - i also dont think the first patch will address all that much tbh, as Vista compatibility seems to be the priority for the first patch.

--Jakk
    Flatmate??

I had to look that one up.

I did not care too much for this game. BUT, I did not have the horses to run the Dynamic lighting either. Maybe that is part of the reason.

Ultimate Member
    Flatmate... he got hit by a steam roller, closest Americanism i can probably think of is "Roomie!"

TBH i didnt have high hopes for STALKER, but THQ have come up with the goods yet again, and it really is a cracking little game if its your cup of tea, those wishing to simply blast mutants and aliens all day long need not apply.

One thing about the Dynamic Lighting, without it STALKERS graphics look pretty bog standard if you ask me, indeed on the graphical sid eof things, other than some good texture work, theres only really Dynamic Lighting that will have your jaw flapping

--Jakk
    "You don't know Jakk..."

[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Bigjakkstaffa
    Flatmate... he got hit by a steam roller, closest Americanism i can probably think of is "Roomie!"

TBH i didnt have high hopes for STALKER, but THQ have come up with the goods yet again, and it really is a cracking little game if its your cup of tea, those wishing to simply blast mutants and aliens all day long need not apply.

One thing about the Dynamic Lighting, without it STALKERS graphics look pretty bog standard if you ask me, indeed on the graphical sid eof things, other than some good texture work, theres only really Dynamic Lighting that will have your jaw flapping

--Jakk
    Jakk

I have the processor (e6400), but not the video cart (x800xt) to run the dynamic lighting. I notice they have the bushes waving back and forth, I am sure that takes some processing/gpu power.

What processor/video card you running it with?

Quote Originally Posted by Roadhog
    Jakk

I have the processor (e6400), but not the video cart (x800xt) to run the dynamic lighting. I notice they have the bushes waving back and forth, I am sure that takes some processing/gpu power.

What processor/video card you running it with?
    see his sig.

i haven't picked it up yet. funny as jakk, you were pretty grim on the game and i think i was the only member on sysopt still excited about it after the 3 or so year delay

i have read all the reviews and they've really kind of put me off. yes i'll get it and play it for atmousphere but the game was supposed to be this 50-60 hour romp through a huge and mysterious world, they explicitly promised not the break up the action with load times, etc etc.

it just kills me that we wait 3 years (this was slated as an fx5900 showcase mind you) and then they don't deliver on any of the promises that made the game sound sweet in the first place (all the sidequests are pointless, AI interaction is shallow, lame story, etc, etc).

i'll pick it up, and i'll probably enjoy the poo out of it but, did anyone ever play gun? that's the feeling i'm getting here. my synopsis of both games is that there better be a sequel coming out some actually worthwhile plot diversions.
    Last edited by tasty danish; 03-29-2007 at 03:44 PM.
    i so pretty yes i am... pretty pretty dancing

Quote Originally Posted by tasty danish
    see his sig.

i haven't picked it up yet. funny as jakk, you were pretty grim on the game and i think i was the only member on sysopt still excited about it after the 3 or so year delay

i have read all the reviews and they've really kind of put me off. yes i'll get it and play it for atmousphere but the game was supposed to be this 50-60 hour romp through a huge and mysterious world, they explicitly promised not the break up the action with load times, etc etc.

it just kills me that we wait 3 years (this was slated as an fx5900 showcase mind you) and then they don't deliver on any of the promises that made the game sound sweet in the first place (all the sidequests are pointless, AI interaction is shallow, lame story, etc, etc).

i'll pick it up, and i'll probably enjoy the poo out of it but, did anyone ever play gun? that's the feeling i'm getting here. my synopsis of both games is that there better be a sequel coming out some actually worthwhile plot diversions.
    Maybe I need to tweak the game settings as Jak's 7800GT does not look much better then my x800xt:
    http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics.html

Tasty, you may enjoy the game very much. It seems (to me) it mixes in a little adventure game with the fps. I did not play it long enough to give a decent review. I may try it again though, but lately just too much going on at the home front.

i know i will, i'm really NOT picky about games. well, i guess i am but when it comes to FPS's i'm cheaper than a call girl, and i used to be a complete RPG geek till i got bored and jumped ship to shooters to wake me up a bit!

my problem is, that i've been super keen to stalker since it was an fx5900 tech demo. ever since i heard about the premise i've thought, "oh dude, this will be my game. this is gonna be that underdog that flies under the radar but trumps everything out (think system shock 2)." i've never been that excited about a video game concept, ever, compared to the original promises made by stalker.

originally when it was delayed i was like, that's cool, HL2 was also so, just like HL2, they're just polishing it. then it got delayed years after HL2 and i've noticed a trend, after a game gets delayed so long there is no way it'll be good, or at least, exemplary.

look at what's come out recently, all the behemoths. Doom 3 was AMAZING for the first 1/2, then became a complete snore/teleport fest the next. quake 4 was excellent but couldnt stay interesting because it was mindless. prey was sensational and lasted 30 minutes. I don't know why people rave about far cry, because the AI was HORRID. they either had spidey sense or i could tap dance right infront of them. As good as HL2 was the physics and interactivity weren't as mind blowing as hyped up to be (when did i get to flip cars on zombies with grenades and blow up water towers?). honestly the only game that hasn't let me down at all recently has been fear, but it's not as ambitious as most.

i guess i just thought, and hoped, for all this time, that stalker would be that one that really knocked her out of the ballpark, that didn't fall flat on any expectations. the premise just seemed TOO dag-gum cool. but it looks like it'll be just another shooter.
    Last edited by tasty danish; 03-30-2007 at 12:42 AM.
    i so pretty yes i am... pretty pretty dancing